Menu

Getting books off Kindle PC to Kindle

I can not get it to sync for some reason. :( It is driving me nuts!

I have a split pubic bone and could not sleep last night. So instead I spent almost 4 hours putting books on my Kindle PC.

Now I am trying to load them on my Kindle and it is NOT working! :confused:

Any ideas before I loose my mind???

Try another USB port on your computer. The one in the front doesn't work for my Kindle, but it works for everything else. I did discover that the USB port on the back of the computer works fine for the Kindle.

Weird.

So I'd try that. You can also send your materials to your free Kindle email address. @free.kindle.com

It's a pain to upload books by email, but it works if your desperate.

Try another USB port on your computer. The one in the front doesn't work for my Kindle, but it works for everything else. I did discover that the USB port on the back of the computer works fine for the Kindle.

Weird.

So I'd try that. You can also send your materials to your free Kindle email address. @free.kindle.com

It's a pain to upload books by email, but it works if your desperate.

Tried other port. Still seems to not be working. I am going to cry!

Angel, did you first do a "Remove from Device" in Kindle for PC? I'm pretty sure you need to do this FIRST since I don't think you can have it both places at once. That should move the book from the "Home" tab to the "Archived" tab. Then you should be able to sync the Kindle and see it on the Kindle.

(I'm sure you probably already did this, but I thought I would ask just to be sure.)

Good luck!

Angel, did you first do a "Remove from Device" in Kindle for PC? I'm pretty sure you need to do this FIRST since I don't think you can have it both places at once. That should move the book from the "Home" tab to the "Archived" tab. Then you should be able to sync the Kindle and see it on the Kindle.

(I'm sure you probably already did this, but I thought I would ask just to be sure.)

Good luck!

I have not done this. :D I really have no clue what I am doing! :lol:

Off to try...

Good luck!

That just deleted them totally. :lol:

Ugh! These are books from free domain if that makes a difference.

My Amazon account, Kindle, and Kidle PC all show a different amount of books. This is really frustrating!

Do you have an "Archived" tab on your Kindle for PC application? I see that just to the right of the "Home" tab. When I "Remove from Device" a book I see in the "Home" tab, it then shows up in the "Archived" tab. Those are books which are available to be loaded onto any device. I'm not sure if this applies to all books or just ones purchased through Amazon.

Do you see the books you just deleted in the "Archived" tab?

It is possible to share material with several devices, but they must all be registered to the same account.

Another thought is to check the sync settings at the Amazon website. Look under Kindle, Manage Your Kindle option and sign in. Look at manage synchronization between devices, and be sure it's turned on. There may also be a setting on your Kindle that needs to be set, but I'm not sure about that. The user guide search feature is usually helpful.

If it's a connection problem and you don't have a WIFI network, I've read that AT&T hotspots support Kindles without sign-in or passwords. I have no clue about where to find AT&T service though.

The Amazon forums usually have good advice. Good luck!

ETA: If you accidentally deleted anything purchased from Amazon, it should be backed up there. Also, the search feature for the user's guide usually answers my questions.

Edited by Martha in NM

Do you have an "Archived" tab on your Kindle for PC application? I see that just to the right of the "Home" tab. When I "Remove from Device" a book I see in the "Home" tab, it then shows up in the "Archived" tab. Those are books which are available to be loaded onto any device. I'm not sure if this applies to all books or just ones purchased through Amazon.

Do you see the books you just deleted in the "Archived" tab?

No. :(

It is possible to share material with several devices, but they must all be registered to the same account.

Another thought is to check the sync settings at the Amazon website. Look under Kindle, Manage Your Kindle option and sign in. Look at manage synchronization between devices, and be sure it's turned on. There may also be a setting on your Kindle that needs to be set, but I'm not sure about that. The user guide search feature is usually helpful.

If it's a connection problem and you don't have a WIFI network, I've read that AT&T hotspots support Kindles without sign-in or passwords. I have no clue about where to find AT&T service though.

The Amazon forums usually have good advice. Good luck!

ETA: If you accidentally deleted anything purchased from Amazon, it should be backed up there.

My syncing is turned on. I tried to find similar posts on forum, but have had no luck yet.

Still trying...

No. :(
Oops! I hope I didn't waste too much of your time! Sorry!

Are these free books you are getting from Amazon or from another source? If they are from somewhere else, my understanding is that they will NOT sync to you Kindle. In that case, you may have to email them there or some such.

I am getting so angry! I have been trying for hours! :crying:
I'm sorry about this. It can be very frustrating. Hang in there!

DS12 came to me yesterday with tears in his eyes because he was trying to learn how to write software and things weren't working properly. I explained to him that writing software was EVEN MORE frustrating than using software. I said "I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is!"

The old saying is very true: "To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer!"

I know that's not much consolation for you, but just be aware that we all have these types of problems. Good luck! Please let us know when you get it working!

Are you able to see the Kindle files on the PC while you are trying this ?

Can you see the "documents" folder on your Kindle? The user's manual says that both should be visible.

Did your free domain items come through Amazon or another source? If it was another source, you might not be able to open the file on your Kindle. The user guide (Loc. 1806-16) says that Mobipocket files must have no DRM protection applied to be readable on your Kindle. Filenames should appear in your PC directory. Files which can be read on your Kindle will end in one of the following:

.AZW

.AZW1

.AZW2

.TXT

.PDF

Unprotected Mobipocket (.MObI,.PRC)

Audible (.AA or .AAX

.MP3

HTH; I've exhausted my meager knowledge.

Martha

That just deleted them totally. :lol:

Ugh! These are books from free domain if that makes a difference.

My Amazon account, Kindle, and Kidle PC all show a different amount of books. This is really frustrating!

Okay, try this. When you plug in your Kindle, can you see it on "My Computer?" It should show up like a cd does when you insert it into the disc drive. If so, click on it.

You will then see, four boxes...one of which says, "Documents."

Go to the folder where the book is that you want to transfer to the Kindle. Right click on it and copy it. Then go back to the Kindle where the Document folder is. Right click and paste.

Your book will automatically be transferred to the Kindle.

Let me know if this works!

Okay, try this. When you plug in your Kindle, can you see it on "My Computer?" It should show up like a cd does when you insert it into the disc drive. If so, click on it.

You will then see, four boxes...one of which says, "Documents."

Go to the folder where the book is that you want to transfer to the Kindle. Right click on it and copy it. Then go back to the Kindle where the Document folder is. Right click and paste.

Your book will automatically be transferred to the Kindle.

Let me know if this works!

That seems like it will work to transfer from Kindle to Kindle PC.

But I don't see the books that are on Kindle PC to put on my portable Kindle. ???