Menu

MUS...is it too easy for K-7??

I am using MUS right now with all four of mine and we love it. We switched from a ps curriculum and found it to be much better to navigate and reach mastery. However, I am reading posts about MUS being behind Saxon and other curricula. Please respond if you have experience. I want to make sure they are prepared.

If you go over to the k-8 boards and do a search you will find OODLES of posts about this from both sides. I happen to think it is a good program but I do supplement it with LOF when they are ready and Singapore CWP.

ETA: my ds used MUS from Primer all the way through Zeta then he entered a private school in 6th grade. He was in the top 20% of kids in math...in Asia... :)

It's not so much that it's behind, it's that it has a completely different sequence. By the end of Zeta you're going to be on equal footing with kids who have used more traditional programs.

FWIW, right after my son finished Zeta he took the Woodcock Johnson III achievement test, which is an individual achievement test where the child answers questions until he can't answer any more. He scored beyond 12th grade level for math calculation. This perhaps says more about average 12th graders than it does about my son's math abilities, but there you go.