Menu

what do you do w/all those crafts & science projects?

tinkbaby

for example... i have a scale model of a volcano sitting in my kitchen right now. I don't want to throw it out, but I there's no where to put it in DD's room either (i'd have to buy another bookshelf).

This is just an example... while I can see keeping the little ceramic piggy-bank pigs and things like that I certainly don't plan on keeping all of her science projects that long.

What do you do?

Take a digital picture, print the picture on a full size piece of paper, have kidlet write an explanation on the page and decorate if they prefer, three hole punch that paper, and put it behind the science tab in their finished work binder.

Take a digital picture, print the picture on a full size piece of paper, have kidlet write an explanation on the page and decorate if they prefer, three hole punch that paper, and put it behind the science tab in their finished work binder.

That's a good idea! I do always take pictures of their projects, but putting a copy in their notebooks is a great idea. I'll have to make sure I do this, especially for history (most of our projects are in that subject right now).

I agree with taking pictures, displaying for a while, and then tossing- unless it's something my daughter loves and she goes "can I keep it in my room please," then I let her take it up for a while.

I usually print some of the pictures and include them in her portfolios. I also put them up on my blog.

We use ourprojects.

If they fit and are booklike, I store them on the appropriate shelves. For example my oldest two made books about animals and planets (with REAL Science Odyssey) and we store those with our animal books and planet books. My little kids love when their big brothers read those books and I think the big ones feel proud to have the books to show off.

Costume pieces, models, and other arts and crafts kind of projects usually get played with until they fall apart.

I don't know what I'd do if my kids wanted to save everything, instead they want to use it!

Edited by Mallory

Try a smash-it ceremony. After few experiments, we destroy. I let the kids step, tear, and beat anything before it goes to the trash and after the picture moment.

I love this idea, and I don't know why it never occurred to me! Do you think it would work with my DH when I want him to get rid of something that he's not using and has just been sitting around taking up space forever? ;)