Menu

Does anyone here have a child who is dyslexic but a visual learner?

Paz

We realized this about my dd several years ago. She is dyslexic and dysgraphic but learns best by reading and doing worksheets, talk about frustration for the first several years of homeschooling. We did lots of hands on projects, lots of art and read alouds while drawing and coloring. I even let her play video games while I read and that seemed to help with retention. :confused:

Now that she can read well she has amazing comprehension. She also has a short term memory disorder so lectures and first time directions seem to get lost a little. Just wondering if this is a common problem.

I think our oldest fits into this category. Reading and writing are both very difficult for him, but they also seem to be how he learns best. I don't think he learns anything by hearing it, and "doing" seems to be a big distraction for him.

These first two years of homeschooling him have been so difficult that I have at times completely doubted my ability to do it. I keep telling myself that getting him reading and writing may be the hardest thing I ever do in homeschooling....that the rest may seem easy compared to this, and that I should not give up until we are on the other side of that mountain.

Plus I don't believe the local PS could really do it any better, and I don't want to deal with the whole IEP business.

You can do it, laudrycrisis. Keep plugging away. It is hard but well worth it in the end.

Thank you. When I saw your post, I felt relieved...others have figured out this exact situation...we can get through it too.

It's funny in a sad way, but when he really wants to figure something out, he says "let's see !" and grabs a pencil and pad of paper in a very determined way.....and then can't do much with them....but it's his inclination to think things through that way, not another way, and he wants to be able to do it. He is starting to type on his own a very little tiny bit. I think typing may be his path to written expression. I'm doing everything I can to encourage it.

We realized this about my dd several years ago. She is dyslexic and dysgraphic but learns best by reading and doing worksheets, talk about frustration for the first several years of homeschooling. We did lots of hands on projects, lots of art and read alouds while drawing and coloring. I even let her play video games while I read and that seemed to help with retention. :confused:

Now that she can read well she has amazing comprehension. She also has a short term memory disorder so lectures and first time directions seem to get lost a little. Just wondering if this is a common problem.

Yes! :crying:

It was so distressing, and at times I was afraid he'd never progress.

He literally couldn't form the first letter of his name for a year. There would be a line on one side of the page and a squiggle on another part of the page. Heartbreaking.

We did lots of therapeutic stuff (writing in sand, clay, motor memory, etc.) and went through multiple copies of Handwriting Without Tears. Now he can produce a neat, legible print and does lots of workbook assignments. He's come SO far. :)