Menu

Anyone doing Saxon 3 Math without modifications?

AlisonK

I was just wondering if anyone out there is doing Saxon Math 3 right now without modifications? This is my first year homeschooling so I don't have much to go on and don't know anyone doing Saxon 3 right now.

My big question is how long does it take to complete each lesson on average?

Also, if anyone is in Saxon 3 and doesn't mind sharing I would love to know where in the book are you at this point in the school year?

Thanks so much!

Alison

I'm doing Saxon 3 right now with my 7 yo. We do it as written with very few modifications. I do omit some of the skip counting because he is so confident with it. He really doesn't need to count by 25's, 10's or 100's anymore but we do it once every week or so. Other than that, we follow the lessons as written. We started it in August and are on Lesson 67. I try to do five days a week with him but sometimes it ends up being only four just because of my time being limited. It probably requires my direct time for about 20-30 minutes depending on the lesson. He works on the meeting strip by himself then we do the oral questions together and then I teach the lesson, followed by the drills. He is pretty independent with the worksheets. When my olders were using Saxon 3 I know the lessons took more of my direct time, but this particular kid is a quick study with math and we are able to skip the repeated examples in the lessons most days.

Edited by JanOH

Thank you so much for the responses. Doing this for the first time is hard to judge for myself. I am struggling to get math to take less time. Right now it seems to take 1.5 hrs (or more on the tough days). I am trying to get him to do more on his own so less of my time is taken but it still takes way too much of his time.

My DS has no problem understanding the new concepts so I think it's the fact practice and the meeting time that are dragging things out. I am going to have to pay more attention to where the time is going this week.

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Alison

My DS has no problem understanding the new concepts so I think it's the fact practice and the meeting time that are dragging things out. I am going to have to pay more attention to where the time is going this week.

My son is younger and we are only doing Saxon 2, so take what I say with a grain of salt :tongue_smilie:, but I just wanted to share what we do in regards to this, thanks to many ladies on this board - we spread the math out over the day. We do some of the meeting time stuff in the early morning when we are doing most of our memorization-type stuff (Bible verses, calendar, skip counting, etc.). I do the lesson and 1/2 side of the worksheet after our morning read aloud and then we work on the fact cards and speed drills later in the afternoon. It has helped to spread everything out instead of just concentrating on "math". :)