Menu

I need a Home Ec/Life Skills class for my ds

Any recommedations on what I should use and teach. We are doing Financial Peace for the Next Generation, that will count for a Financial Management credit. I need ideas for teaching cooking, sewing etc. Maybe I just need ideas and I could make up my own class.

Thank for any help!

Peggy

and I know what you mean about life skills. Nothing formal here but just skills to make sure they could survive and perhaps even survive well! haha

What I have thought is that all guys need to know at least how to sew on a button, perhaps a rip in the ol' trousers, and most definitely how to do laundry without getting pink underwear.

Then from a young age, my guys have liked to help in food prep. But when they got to be around 14 years old, they became responsible for one week night's healthy dinner. Sometimes, they fix brownies (from scratch) for their social events.

The other areas of household repairs, lawn and car maintenance- their dad has taken care of. But as a wife of a guy who could fix any thing and has saved us trillions in repairs - I think a guy should know this area too.

Really the best curriculum for these areas are in doing the daily life stuff!

Looking forward to reading what others add -

Susie

One of the books we enjoyed using when covering life skills was Home Comforts: The Art & Science of Keeping Home. We used it more as a reference and spine, then a text you read from start to finish. It covers food (planning, buying, basic cooking), cloth (fabrics, laundry, stains), cleanliness (everything about cleaning everything in your house), daily life (how to care for books, pets, sewing, etc.), sleep, safe shelter (safety in the house), and formalities (insurance, records, etc.).

The two books we used the most for cooking were Clueless in the Kitchen: A Cookbook for Teens and Cook's Companion. Clueless was a lot of fun and had simple but yummy meals. Cook's Companion has LOTS of pictures for each step of the process.

For finances, like you, we used Financial Peace for the Next Generation. We also are using Thinkwell's Economics.

For communication we are using Secrets of Great Communicators by Jeff Myers.

Our driver's ed instruction also includes basic car safety, care and repair and health includes first aid.

Hope that helps!