Menu

Doing Latin only, no English grammar?

RainbowSprinkles

Do you mean teaching English grammar through Latin only, with no separate English grammar program? Or teaching Latin without addressing English grammar explicitly at all? If the former, there are several old threads about the relative merits of teaching English grammar through Latin - the general caveats are that the parent/teacher must have a good grasp of English grammar and that most people's Latin study doesn't go far enough to provide a high level knowledge of English grammar. That was my experience - I learned all the English grammar I know from my high school Latin, and learned it well, but I never got beyond direct and indirect objects.

If the latter, there's not much in the way of true Latin immersion programs - most, even reading programs, either assume English grammar knowledge or explicitly teach English grammar alongside the Latin. I'm not sure if even Lingua Latina could be done that way - a good grounding in English grammar is commonly recommended as the best prep for it.

I think my daughter has a decent grasp of English grammar.... through her use of Latin..... She got through LCI&II and Unit 3 of Henle... :) I'm sure that she might know more English Grammar if she cared.... She also did Essentials with the CC group... but, it's not as though she would use her brain :( My son... I'm not sure the route I'm taking... he's 2nd...

:)