Menu

I just don't have the patience to teach an ADD kid

ds15 entered the ps in 5th grade because I just couldn't handle the frustration of teaching him. He continued on with his mistakes in school and was tested. He has mild inattentive ADD.

DD11's ADD is much more severe. I will NOT medicate her. She has a pineal cyst to begin with and I am trying to keep toxins out of her diet. I also know that once menses begin with her, there's a high probability that she's going to have to be medicated for migraines.

Schooling her is SO frustrating. I know that the past three months are proving to show that my body is changing in a HUGE way and I'm more and more impatient, have severe PMS before cycles begin, etc, etc. I'll turn 48 sooner than I realize and I fear I will drive my dd's crazy or just completely lose what ever is left of my own mind. I will be trying to treat this naturally but really, I just do NOT have the patience for homeschooling my ADD kid. I got a little backed up on corrections and WOW. I'm in such a pissy mood right now. I mean really, can't you SEE that you've left half of the page blank?

Moms of add kids, please help me. I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO want my homeschooling journey to end today. And yet I know that if dd goes back into school, all those lights will cause serious migraine issues again. Not to mention the attitude that PS will bring.

I'm thinking I should have had my kids closer together in age so that I wasn't parenting, and CERTAINLY not SCHOOLING, as I struggle through menopause, or the horrendous issues that one has to deal with in the years approaching it.

I've found for us is to keep the body active while doing school work. Practicing grammer rules...do it on a scooter or bike. If this isn't possible then we take frequent breaks. We do about 20 minutes of schoolwork and then check the mail or run the dogs outside.

This is not to say we don't have meltdowns but it does help.

Look into sensory integration for your daughter. If you can design an effective sensory diet and help her become as organized in terms of her nervous system as possible, learning will be easier. Children have to be "ready" to learn for info to sink in and actually attach. If children are not "ready" learning is not going to happen. An effective sensory diet will help your daughter to get her body/brain ready to learn. Most Occupational Therapists can help design a good sensory diet.

Look into sensory integration for your daughter. If you can design an effective sensory diet and help her become as organized in terms of her nervous system as possible, learning will be easier. Children have to be "ready" to learn for info to sink in and actually attach. If children are not "ready" learning is not going to happen. An effective sensory diet will help your daughter to get her body/brain ready to learn. Most Occupational Therapists can help design a good sensory diet.
is this what it will take, going to a therapist to get a good sensory diet? I was thinking about the ADD diet but really, she has very, very little in the way of processed foods. We have a lot of veggie stirfry for lunch, she can have hers over whole grains (millet/amaranth/quinoa) and for snacks veggies/hummus. She may have one or two servings of a refined carb per WEEK (cracker, bread) but I'm trying to really keep her whole foods.

I've really never heard of a sensory diet. There are so many different sensory issues, none of which I've seen with her. Is it an occupational therapist who would diagnose sensory issues?

is this what it will take, going to a therapist to get a good sensory diet? I was thinking about the ADD diet but really, she has very, very little in the way of processed foods. We have a lot of veggie stirfry for lunch, she can have hers over whole grains (millet/amaranth/quinoa) and for snacks veggies/hummus. She may have one or two servings of a refined carb per WEEK (cracker, bread) but I'm trying to really keep her whole foods.

I've really never heard of a sensory diet. There are so many different sensory issues, none of which I've seen with her. Is it an occupational therapist who would diagnose sensory issues?

There are lots of books and info on sensory integration available. We all have "sensory diets" to some degree. Think of things that help you focus or feel good. When I have to really concentrate I always eat crunchy snacks. Exercise always makes me feel better. Low lights are calming to me. Basically, it is finding activities or sensory experiences that help your daughter to become more organized neurologically thus promoting focus and sustained attention and then learning. We all can benefit from sensory activities that help us organize ourself. It will not cure the inattention but you will be able to see improvement. The more effective the program the more drastic the change. It is one piece of the puzzle but for some kids the difference is remarkable.

Ikea has these fabulous rings that you can hang from your ceiling (and even my husband can do pull-ups on them, so they are quite sturdy). Anytime I can see that things are headed south, I send my kid to the rings and after about 10 minutes things are much better, at least for a little bit.

If you don't live near an Ikea, I bet you can find the on ebay.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00041048

and the brackets: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80041049