Menu

When searching for a job...

Since I can't go to school this semester, and possibly summer either, I am kicking around the idea of job hunting. I'd like to work in a daycare again. I last worked two years ago but was only at the daycare about 6 months. I left because of a few reasons, none of which I'd care to share with a new job because I think it might look bad for me. Job applications can ask why I left the job and someone interviewing might ask the same thing. What can I say without sounding like I'm bashing the last job or showing that I left under a not-so-great smart reason?

My reasons?

1. stressful situation with too many kids in my room (over state limit to be honest)

2. two-faced director who was nasty to me personally but acted like I misunderstood if I talked to the owners

3. a bad time in my oldest dd's life. She was suffering from depression and anxiety and I got wind of her possibly running away. I panicked and left work with that director telling me if I left, not to come back

4. in my favor, however, I had already turned in my resignation 3 weeks prior but they wanted me to work until they replaced me, yet they interviewed 2 people and didn't like either one. I had no idea how long I would have to stay.

5. the worst part: while I worked there, the owner was lamenting the fact that too many employees left and she didn't know why. So after I left, I had to start counseling for depression and anxiety myself and was diagnosed with bipolar 2. Dumb me, in an effort to make the owner feel better, I emailed her and told her about my diagnosis. Could she legally share that information with a potential employer? Argh.. I make the stupidest mistakes!

So what would I say when asked why I left?

I'd say "medical reasons which has since been rectified."

You really don't want to get into any negative discussions about your former employers or stress of too many kids. You want to be as positive as possible so they look at you as an asset and not someone who could possible cause issues.

I'd say "medical reasons which has since been rectified."

You really don't want to get into any negative discussions about your former employers or stress of too many kids. You want to be as positive as possible so they look at you as an asset and not someone who could possible cause issues.

I really don't. I thought the owners rocked and I really did think it was a great place to work. It was really the director that made working there quite stressful. I've since learned she was demoted. It seems the owners finally started believing the employees complaints. I'd work there again if offered a job. But there is no way I'm calling and asking. They'd think I was insane and I'd hate to hear the rejection. :)