Menu

Help with LA!

cam112198

I have been feeling overwhelmed lately! We just moved in December and I have 4 children. I am only homeschooling our 8dd. Ds5 and dd4 go to preschool and I have a 13-month old at home.

Everything that I do is so teacher-intensive! I'm really not willing to give up anything except maybe FLL. I was thinking of making a switch to something a little less teacher-intensive. We do everything in my signature and an Abeka Language 3 worksheet (only 1/2 the problems).

It would be nice to teach my dd while my 13-month old is sleeping and leave the independent stuff for when dd is awake. With FLL I am sitting with her the whole time.

My thoughts are maybe to switch to CLE LA, but continue with AAS, WWE, and ARFH. We really like CLE Math.

I could switch to Abeka LA. Right now we are only doing the worksheets, but I could get the TM and doing the teaching and assign work for her while dd is awake.

I've heard great things about R&S, but wasn't sure how teacher-intensive it was.

What do you think? What would you do? I'm just having trouble getting it all done. And I am homeschooling one! I will have 2 next year. I have been so overwhelmed lately that I have even thought about quitting! A month or 2 ago I thought I was in this for the long haul. How can I simplify?

How much writing can your DD do? R&S can be done independently if she can write that much. It has a lot of sentence writing. I have to do it orally with my first grader, but I hope he'll be ready to do it independently by 3rd grade.

CLE is similar in difficulty and scope, but it is more fill in the blank, draw lines, circle answers, etc.

Both programs have samples on their websites.

Know what? I'd drop formal grammar until next year or even the year after, esp if you've gotten pretty far already.

Just point out good punctuation/cap and basic parts of speech in the copywork that comes with WWE and you are good to go for 3rd grade.

Relax.

There's truly plenty of time.

If you want your dd to diagram, pick a couple of WWE sentences, or write your own, and have her do that independently. Just a handful of simple sentences and you are good to go.

When you edit her writing, or have her do written narrations, you will be incorporating grammar. The more formal stuff can wait a couple of years.

How much writing can your DD do? R&S can be done independently if she can write that much. It has a lot of sentence writing. I have to do it orally with my first grader, but I hope he'll be ready to do it independently by 3rd grade.

CLE is similar in difficulty and scope, but it is more fill in the blank, draw lines, circle answers, etc.

Both programs have samples on their websites.

Thanks, Boscopup! DD8 does write well on her own. I have looked at both Rod and Staff and CLE. It's good to know that Rod and Staff could be done somewhat independently.

Know what? I'd drop formal grammar until next year or even the year after, esp if you've gotten pretty far already.

Just point out good punctuation/cap and basic parts of speech in the copywork that comes with WWE and you are good to go for 3rd grade.

Relax.

There's truly plenty of time.

If you want your dd to diagram, pick a couple of WWE sentences, or write your own, and have her do that independently. Just a handful of simple sentences and you are good to go.

When you edit her writing, or have her do written narrations, you will be incorporating grammar. The more formal stuff can wait a couple of years.

Thanks, Chris in VA! I appreciate your advice!