Menu

Drawing with Children ...

Luanne

Has anyone used this for their children or themselves? I would like to be able to draw better and was wondering if this would be a good resource for me.

I do! I use it for myself and my kids. It teaches you to see the five elements of shape in everything, and how to break down an object (in picture or real life) into its elements, so you can put them on paper.

It takes a bit of time to read over the first few sections to get a feel for how to do it, but it was worth it to me. I can draw! I can draw! :) My kids are quite pleased with how their drawings turn out, too.

It's one of those books that, if you put the effort into learning the skills, you will be able to do more with the skills.

We have it and I use it as a resource frequently. It is presented as a course and addresses all age ranges. I like that it focuses on seeing and the elements of drawing, which makes it stand out from the "How to Draw a..." type books. It is also "parts to whole" another plus for me. Another really good one is Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

I have it but haven't used it much. However, my dd took a wonderful art class (meaning it was more than just crafts!) last year, and I noticed that the teacher (a real artist!) had the book. I could tell some of the techniques she taught them were from the book. The "parts to whole" is a great teaching technique. I did, actually, use that part of the book with my kids. The results were really cool!

Kim :)

We used the book when my kids were in 1st and 3rd grade. I did it with them - and we all produced some pictures that we otherwise never could have drawn. Unfortunately, we didn't get through the whole book as it got a bit laborious to try to identify the "lessons".

Perhaps now that my kids are older - we'll give it another try. Sometimes the second time around is magical! Thanks for the reminder :)