Menu

Level of K student reading

Ben&Gabe'smom

I have been looking at a lot of phonics programs for my future Ker and am wondering at what level do most K students reach in reading? It appears that some programs end with a student only learning short vowels, in others they have learned short and long vowels, and in others they have progressed beyond CVC words. I'm just wondering what is typical. Thank you!

In schools, it would be typical to have the kids learn the sounds of letters at the beginning of the school year, and by the end of the year be reading common sight words and CVC words. But really, I think there is a huge range of normal for Kindergarteners -- everything from just learning the alphabet to reading full-length novels. I'd just start where your child is and move from there. If they're ready for more -- offer them more. If they need to take it slower, go slower.

I can't speak to what is typical, just what my K'er is doing.

DD is 5.5, firstborn and very verbal. We are using Phonics Pathways and real books and she is reading well. She can pick up my Bible and read a Psalm, read Frog and Toad with ease and expression, read the articles in Click magazine easily.

I'm sure there is a wide range in how fast a K'er progresses. I teach a class of HS children K-4th once a week and among 5 second graders (7 turning 8 yo), for example, we have struggling readers, fluent ones and very advanced ones.

There is nothing typical about a child reading. They will all progress at their own pace. ;-)

I have had children reading well at ages 4 to 9, please don't compare. I think if a child gets through K knowing all the letters and sounds he is doing good. If he is reading CVC words, he is doing good. If a child is beyong that he is good. Just meet your child where he is, move at a pace that doesn't frustrate, and practice, practice, practice. It is hard work to read.

In schools, it would be typical to have the kids learn the sounds of letters at the beginning of the school year, and by the end of the year be reading common sight words and CVC words. But really, I think there is a huge range of normal for Kindergarteners -- everything from just learning the alphabet to reading full-length novels. I'd just start where your child is and move from there. If they're ready for more -- offer them more. If they need to take it slower, go slower.

:iagree:In my son's K class, they were expected to read CVC words and the K words on the Dolch sight reading list. If you're doing phonics, you won't necessarily have the same goals as a school does.

The range in the class was pretty huge. Some kids were still struggling with CVC words, and some kids were reading chapter books. Both ends of the spectrum are normal. :)