Menu

S/O Anyone switched from TOG to SL?

HSMom2One

We are currently using TOG and I have to say (once again) that I do love it for my dd. We have moved up from UG to D level and it has been amazing. My plan is to stay with it through 7th grade, at which time we will have completed YR-1 through most of YR-3. For 8th grade I would like to drop TOG in order to do a focused study of our region and government of the United States. As I look ahead to high school though, I am not certain if we will resume with TOG. There is a possibility that we will enroll her in private school, but if we opt to continue hs'ing I want to find out what all of our options are.

I will be working part-time to full-time during those years, so part of my hesitancy to stay long-term with TOG is that I will need something that is less teacher intensive. I have always been attracted to SL, and we almost went there a couple of years ago. So SL is definitely an option for HS. The reasons this appeals is that dd loves literature, and I know that SL is a pull out and go program.

Has anyone used TOG through D level and then switched to SL for high school? If so, how did that work for you and your student? Did you find that you needed to supplement any subjects to SL to make it more classical?

Thanks for any helpful input you may have to offer.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Lucinda,

Obviously I haven't, but I can give you some thoughts.

Personally I can't stomach History of the US. I read most of the series out loud to my oldest, and I have the notes from Core 100 to balance it out but she still drove me nuts. My oldest and I did this in 4th/5th grade, so I can't imagine using it for high school. It just isn't deep enough.

Level 200 I am fine with, I just question the wisdom of doing a program that is totally focused on a topic that most secular colleges won't recognize. At least with TOG you are covering secular history at the same time.

Level 300 is the best of their high school levels, IMO. For a while they were using a digital text, which would drive me nuts. I think they went back to a physical spine, but if that would be a problem for you and your dd double check that.

Level 400 I like the idea of, but I have heard a lot of people talk about how it not only covers government but has a lot of rhetoric about getting involved and such. People tend to love or hate it, and I suspect I would hate it because it would make me feel guilty and I just don't need that.

Level 530 is just writing and reading, no history, LA Bible or anything else.

If I had to step back into a more daily schedule type program, I would go with Winter Promise or My Father's World. Before that I would probably just use TOG and live with the fact that I wasn't using it to its potential. Of course there is the guilt monster, so I am not sure that would work either.

Heather

If I had to step back into a more daily schedule type program, I would go with Winter Promise or My Father's World. Before that I would probably just use TOG and live with the fact that I wasn't using it to its potential. Of course there is the guilt monster, so I am not sure that would work either.

Heather

Thanks for the input, Heather. I can see why SL might have been a great choice for grammar years more than high school. I am going to check out those other suggestions you made. In fact, I cross-posted this on the high school boards and got another recommendation for MFW. I have not done a lot of research on high school level programs so far other than TOG, but I thought this is a good time to start thinking ahead.

Blessings,

Lucinda

P.S. Heather, did you get my last PM?

Ack! Yes! Forgot to respond. We were in the middle of a Pokemon tournament at the time, so I read it quickly and didn't respond. I am not in any big hurry, I let you know if that changes. :D

Heather

Thank you...that's good to know. :~)

BTW, I have looked at MFW online this evening and think it looks better than WP. Of course there is no hurry, and TOG is still an option...but if I were going to switch up ahead I think I'll be looking closely at MFW.

Blessings,

Lucinda