Menu

Alternatives to TOG? Info on MOH? Suggestions?

jtcarter14

Hi,

We are looking to make a change in our curriculum, and I feel like I'm pretty much new to all this. I've searched a lot in the past week, but I still don't feel like I know what all my options are.

I was drawn to TOG, but I have a toddler and am due this summer with another baby. I just don't see being able to get through something that large and overwhelming (and teacher intensive) next year.

MOH looks really good. But how do you fill in with other things to make it a little more like TOG - just a little! I saw that there is a supplemental reading list. Does it tell you when to read which books, or is that just self explanatory? Does it have any writing assignments? Is there an answer key to the pretests and quizzes?

What options are out there as far as curriculum that includes MOH but also has lesson plans with other things to do?

I don't really even know if I'm asking the right questions! Any suggestions or guidance is welcome. :001_smile:

Hi,

We are looking to make a change in our curriculum, and I feel like I'm pretty much new to all this. I've searched a lot in the past week, but I still don't feel like I know what all my options are.

I was drawn to TOG, but I have a toddler and am due this summer with another baby. I just don't see being able to get through something that large and overwhelming (and teacher intensive) next year.

MOH looks really good. But how do you fill in with other things to make it a little more like TOG - just a little! I saw that there is a supplemental reading list. Does it tell you when to read which books, or is that just self explanatory? Does it have any writing assignments? Is there an answer key to the pretests and quizzes?

What options are out there as far as curriculum that includes MOH but also has lesson plans with other things to do?

I don't really even know if I'm asking the right questions! Any suggestions or guidance is welcome. :001_smile:

MOH is supposed to be great. My co-op uses it and loves it. I don't know a lot about it but there are lots of threads here about it. Seach MOH and I'm sure you'll find a bunch of info.

There are lots of options out there. We loved SOTW. Not a lot of prep time, engaging and mapwork and activities all planned out and ready to go. Some friends love Simply Charlotte Mason -all scheduled out, lots of read alouds, etc.

Hope you get lots more info.

Jessica,

The book list in MOH is broken down by lesson, so you do know when to read them. Pretty much the same as you would have with TOG. No daily schedule, but a weekly one. You would know what week to read the MOH book in but it would be up to you to decide how to go about that, unless you were to buy Illuminations. Illuminations is the brain child of the publisher of MOH, Maggie. It includes science, literature, LA and just a ton of stuff all schedule out for you in a daily schedule. Not cheap but it might be more the direction you need.

There is an answer key for all the quizzes for all the books. For volume 1 there is also a map answer key, but there is not yet one for volume 2 or 3.

Writing wise there are suggestions for research projects, presentations and essays in the activities for older students, but nothing for younger students. Illuminations probably has a writing piece for younger students.

Heather

Thanks for the info. I've been online today looking up Biblioplan, Illuminations, and Simply Charlotte Mason. I can't figure SCM out. Is it just a bookstore?

Illuminations looks good but maybe more than I wanted. I had kind of already had my sights set on some other science, grammar, etc. So I'd only be using about 1/3 of the lesson plans which makes it seem not really worth it.

Bibloplan looks like a possibility. It seems to be written mainly with the assumption that we would be using SOTW though. So I guess overall I'm feeling like I'm going to have to do a lot of tweaking with all the options. I would just use SOTW, but I really, really prefer the way MOH ties in Biblical history.

Oh, another thing I didn't mention is that it's really important to dh that we have tests. And it's important to me that I don't have to make them up myself! ;)

What do you all suggest for science and language arts? I was thinking about using Apologia (elementary) and possibly (??) Shurley English. I've heard good things about Shurley except for the writing portions. Not sure what to do about that. We have like Spelling Power but are considering trying Spelling Workout. So can you tell I have no clue what I'm doing?!? :confused: Please continue with any advice and suggestions. I'm very grateful!!!

My Father's World may be what you're looking for. Some call it "TOG light". It's written to accommodate multiple ages, is much easier on Mom in terms of planning and prep time, has lesson plans laid out for you in a weekly grid with an *optional*, very extensive booklist in the back of the TM, and has a strong biblical worldview. These are NOT schedule, but are listed according to week # and topic so that you can easily find what you're looking for. All of the books that you see on the website, however, are scheduled in the lesson plans. MFW is very flexible to use. www.mfwbooks.com

We actually did MFW Adventures and ECC. I'd say I had a love/ hate relationship with it. I might be tempted to try it again, but I'm hoping there's something out there that will suit us better.

I am thinking (for now;)) that we will piece it together, using MOH as our history and adding on other subjects separately. I am trying to figure out though - in MOH, does it give scripture references to read that goes along with the lessons, or does it just cover the Biblical themes in the text? :confused:

I would love to use MOH as our Bible also.

Illuminations looks good but maybe more than I wanted. I had kind of already had my sights set on some other science, grammar, etc. So I'd only be using about 1/3 of the lesson plans which makes it seem not really worth it.

That is the problem a lot of people have, the second being that if they do go with all the LA they still have to buy the separate LA program components. It does sound like Bright Ideas Press, the publisher, might eventually sell separate components. Time will tell.

Oh, another thing I didn't mention is that it's really important to dh that we have tests. And it's important to me that I don't have to make them up myself! ;)

MOH has weekly quizzes and I think SOTW also has quizzes you can buy. With MOH you can buy the Evaluations CD. For D and R level there are questions you could use for that purpose, but for LG and UG levels there is only the literature worksheets. You would need Evaluations to get any sort of questions, and then you might want to take a good look at them to make sure they will meet your dh's requirements. Most program generally use narration to gauge comprehension for young children. Is he opposed to narration?

What do you all suggest for science and language arts? I was thinking about using Apologia (elementary) and possibly (??) Shurley English. I've heard good things about Shurley except for the writing portions. Not sure what to do about that. We have like Spelling Power but are considering trying Spelling Workout. So can you tell I have no clue what I'm doing?!? :confused: Please continue with any advice and suggestions. I'm very grateful!!!

I have used most of the Elementary Apologia texts and we enjoy them. Right now we are doing Biology. I read it aloud to all. I also have my older two following the WTM recommendations for 5-8th grade, so they are also doing that hands on work and writing up summaries on the computer. Ok the 3rd is also doing it but not doing the writing component. DS is in the middle of everything and comes and goes as he pleases.

I hear good things about Shurley. The only negative I have ever heard is that if you use it year after year it gets monotonous. But it sounds through and when you get tired of it you can switch to something else.

For spelling my top picks are All About Spelling (AAS) for younger kids and Megawords for 4th grade and up. They focus on phonics, spelling rules and syllable rules. My kids really dislike workbooks though. If I use a workbook it can't have much fluff. That said, if you already have something that is working, you might just want to continue with it. Don't try to fix something that isn't broken.

For writing my first loves are Writing With Ease and Classical Writing. They are based on classical methods using dictation, narration and delaying original writing till it is developmentally appropriate (5th grade or later). Classical Writing isn't the easiest program to use, so you might look at Writing Tales. Again it is based on the same philosophy but I am told it is a lot more teacher friendly. For the younger crowd WWE is great. It separates the skills of writing, answering questions, doing dictation and learning to summarize so they master each separately then bring them together once they are mastered. Susan Wise Bauer hasn't finished the next level of programs, or I am sure I would love those as well. :D

Heather