Menu

accelerating PR2 questions

mothergooseof4

After reading a few of Tina's posts lately, I decided to skim the last weeks of PR1 that I have been accelerating ds 11yo through. We will finish up any words I think need a look, cover the last BC, and do one or two of the paragraph compositions this week.

In anticipation of PR2, I watched the DVD for weeks 1 though 5. I can't wait to get started!!! I can already see that the depth is about to increase which is good for this age. I need to get back to grammar with him and composition skills are a definite weak area so I am looking forward to that as well.

Any tips on accelerating him though this? I know Tina, you have mentioned that you blogged about this. Can you post a link? I am viewing from my blackberry and it is hard to look around for that.

I can already see that he can handle more than the scheduled amount of spelling words than listed. At least in the beginning. I didn't look too far. He will also be able to read a whole week of the reader in one day.

My goal is to finish level 2 with this ds in time to start level three in the fall....and not much school haPpens in the summer around here. Despite my best laid plans.

We accelerated! The thing I had to do but I was bummed about it is we did not do the literature part. We did the spelling and grammar only. At first we did a week of spelling and a week of grammar every day. Then I slowed it down to alternating spelling and grammar. I was familiar enough with the spelling that I did not watch the videos and we would watch the grammar one together before we did our lesson. It really worked like a charm and we are on to PR3!

We accelerated! The thing I had to do but I was bummed about it is we did not do the literature part. We did the spelling and grammar only. At first we did a week of spelling and a week of grammar every day. Then I slowed it down to alternating spelling and grammar. I was familiar enough with the spelling that I did not watch the videos and we would watch the grammar one together before we did our lesson. It really worked like a charm and we are on to PR3!

Mother Goose :D (it's like code names for spies or something :D),

I just watched PR2 Weeks 1-5 yesterday! It DOES look good. I have been pondering the pacing of Level Two as well. DS8 is accelerating Level One and now I realize we can do the same with 2, at least in the beginning. Here are my brainstorms (and I think they are even more doable with an 11 year old but I don't know your kiddo's skills):

1. My son can read at a faster pace (and will want to) so I am going to move through the literature study quickly. You should just shrink the pace for your DS. Perhaps read the chapter in one day and do the notebook activities the next. Do this daily if you really want to fly. I'll do something similar to this and might even make it a Unit (just do the lit. study over a few weeks).

2. Since you're coming into 2 right form Level One you can probably skip the four week review. Perhaps use the tests though . . . I'm not going to review since we're flowing right into 2. We'll take the tests, review a few BCs (those harder ones with suffixes), and transfer BCs from Level One binder to Level Two. The only thing you'll want to do is have him write the sentences that he'll use for grammar. I'm going to write them out for my son b/c he doesn't need the dictation (he's doing that with WWE 2 which we're also accelerating) and the level of dictation those sentences provide is easy for him. But I want him to apply the grammar so I'll just write the sentences out for him :001_smile:.

3. Accelerate the spelling lists just as you have been doing.

** We won't always move so quickly. I just want to arrive at a place of comfortable challenge :D without missing anything along the way.

Unlike Momma H., I watch the spelling portions b/c I don't like to miss the tidbits such as word origin or when to add a word to a BC. I don't have the intuition I need to know when a BC needs to be completed. I also like the review of the Rule Tunes and markings.

I do plan to do the lit. study, but will probably do all the reading in one day, then the notebooking the next. I will cover it 4 days per week, so we will get through it in half the time. We might even move faster if ds can handle it. But, I think there is stuff there he needs to cover, so dropping it is not what I want to do.

We are skimming the last quarter of level one this week and mainly just doing those words that have applicable BCs. I will probably consider that our review for level 2 and just do the test.

DS said today that after doing GWG a few years ago and CLE last year plus 4 levels of AAS, the rule tunes have already helped him to remember how to add suffixes. We shall when it comes to application!!!