Menu

LoF Calculus - stand alone?

I've used MUS this past year for Pre-Calc.

I planned to use MUS for Calc as well, and while I see their Calculus site is down, I'm assuming I can call and order it.

However, I have been looking into other alternatives (just in case), and LoF came up.

I was looking into using it last year, but I decided on MUS instead.

Has anyone used LoF Calc as a stand alone? Has anyone ever switched from another program to LoF without any trouble?

I like the video aspect of MUS, but I think I may like LoF better.

I'm just worried I'll have trouble with LoF since there are no videos.

I was using Lial's, but preferred MUS better so I just stuck with it.

Any advice or experiences?

Thanks.

Hi, Stephanie

I had intended to use LOF calculus, but after our experience with LOF Trig we chose to go with MUS, which we had used in younger grades. We found that the instruction in MUS is a little clearer and more comprehensive, and having the worked out solutions instead of just the answers was helpful. LOF had too few worked out solutions for us. He needed additional help with LOF's Trig more often than he has with MUS Calculus.

HTH

Debbie

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Hi, Stephanie

I had intended to use LOF calculus, but after our experience with LOF Trig we chose to go with MUS, which we had used in younger grades. We found that the instruction in MUS is a little clearer and more comprehensive, and having the worked out solutions instead of just the answers was helpful. LOF had too few worked out solutions for us. He needed additional help with LOF's Trig more often than he has with MUS Calculus.

HTH

Debbie

Did you use the Home Companion for Trig and the additional City Answers booklet with Calculus?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
We used THC w/Trig. We didn't end up even trying LOF calculus. The Home Companion provided all the answers, but I think I remember that a significant percentage just were answers, not solutions. Am I misremembering?

I don't know, we haven't used it yet. We are planning on trying LoF solo with Trig (we currently use MUS as our Main and LoF as our supplement). I do own MUS Pre-Calc so if it wasn't enough I figured we could add the MUS DVD lessons and/or some of the worksheets. I think it would be easier to pick and choose lessons as needed from MUS than LoF since LoF can't be done out of order. What do you think?