Menu

Can anyone compare Math Relief to Math-U-See, please?

• 1 year later...

While I have not used MUS or MAth Relief, I have heard things through the grapevine. First, MUS is a good prep course, although it is not a very strong algebra 1 course, it gets the job done. Math relief I feel is a better one as it adds in more, yet is still gentle in introducing concepts for those who don't understand math well. I recommend doing both, but if not I would choose Math Relief.

Just my 2 cents:)

We have used Math Relief for Algebra I and my son is currently using MUS for Geometry.

Math Relief is a worksheet base program that has a 10-15 minute daily dvd lesson. There is no text or instruction manual with Math Relief since all the instruction is given via dvd with some instructions on the student pages. Every 10th lesson there was a quiz. I think there are about 145 lessons in Algebra I. The entire lesson, including the dvd portion, took 45-60 per day. The program does include quizzes and tests.

The Math U See Geometry program consists of an instruction textbook, dvd lessons and workbook/test book. My son reads the textbook and watches the dvd lesson at the beginning of the chapter. Unlike Math Relief, there are no daily dvd lessons to watch. He works a set of problems each day and then takes a test at the end of each chapter. Math U See also has an optional Honors section.

I had my son take the Math U See placement test for Geometry after finishing Math Relief and he struggled. I then pulled out Math Relief Algebra II and some of the concepts covered in Math U See I are covered in Math Relief Algebra II. But somethings covered in Math Relief I are not covered in MUS Algebra I. It is the same old problem of switching between curriculums; each as a different scope and sequence.

Now, having used both programs, I would say Math Relief is more comprehensive. It covers Algebra concepts completely and the daily dvd instruction is a big help. My son said he like Math Relief's approach and explanations better that MUS. He likes MUS for Geometry but sometimes needs more complete explanations that provided.

Math Relief, at this time, does not offer a complete Geometry program. Math U See offers math from Pre-Algebra thru Calculus so that is definitely something to look at. You would not have to worry about mismatches for subjects covered if you switch between curriculums. Math Relief only offers Algebra I & II.

You have some good answers already. I've used Math Relief twice, and I only used MUS as an extra for a couple of years in mid-elementary. I did feel MUS was "easy" compared to the Singapore we were using, and I felt it wasn't really the DVD program I was expecting (only about 10 minutes a week, and designed for the parent), but he did have some good ways of explaining some things.

I have a high regard for MR, on par with the strong math skills my youngest gained with Singapore, but still within reach of my public-schooled dd who was struggling when I first brought her home.

My son used Jacobs/Teaching Textbooks for geometry in between (switched in the middle) and had no problem with any needed algebra/math skills (he didn't "like" geometry and missed algebra, but that's another story). He is very happy to be back with Mr. Firebaugh in Algebra II, and should finish up this week. I wish MR went all the way through, but then again I give Mr. Firebaugh credit for sticking with what he is gifted at.

HTH

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

sbaloue and Julie,

Thank you for the information! I wish I could see a sample of the written notes that go along with the DVD's. Are you pleased with that component? I think that is an important aspect since there is not a text used.

Also, is Math Relief a remedial program? The very title implies that in my mind. :001_huh:

! I wish I could see a sample of the written notes that go along with the DVD's. Are you pleased with that component? I think that is an important aspect since there is not a text used.

Also, is Math Relief a remedial program? The very title implies that in my mind. :001_huh:

Id ask if they can send a sample of what you want. But basically, the student gets several pages per day with problems already written out on them. The teacher gets the same exact thing, but every problem has been worked out, start to finish. Once in a while there are notes in the margin, or even a sheet of notes, but that's not the usual system.

No, it's not remedial, but I think maybe the title refers to the fact that most algebra programs such as in public schools don't teach algebra well, and finally this one does?? :)

Julie