Menu

who sells on half dot com

Not really. I keep track of what we paid for the books, look at what the text is selling for, and decide what I want to ask for it. If it doesn't sell reasonably soon, then I might go in and edit the price.

I think we certainly do better than if we sold them back at the bookstore.

ETA: Of course, the kids generally don't buy them at the bookstore either!

Edited by Sandy in Indy

How is that working out for you? Are your books moving out at all? Anyone care to compare selling on half.com to amazon? I prefer to buy from amazon, but remember reading awhile ago that half.com books move faster.

I've been "on vacation" for six months, but my books sell a lot better on half than amazon. I prefer to buy used from amazon too. I don't remember the different payment structures, but I do remember that half has (had?) a higher minimum price ($.99?) than amazon ($.01). I list my books on both just to cover the bases.

We've sold about 100 books on half.com. We recently listed our 60 unsold books on Amazon. It raised our sales at both half.com & Amazon. Amazon's selling fees are a bit higher than half.com for us. I believe they both pay directly into your checking acct. (Ebay uses paypal.)

Basically, it is an easy way to earn about $50 a month for us. We are heavy book buyers, so this is an easy way for us to get rid of the books we no longer want. (It's a hobby, not business.)

Indeed, I listed 8 of my dd's college textbooks on Thursday (both AZ & Half), and 7 of them sold in 24 hours. But this is highly unusual.

I would suggest that you list just one book (that is valued around $10), and see how it works for you. We do not bother with books valued at less than $5. (I sell these to friends at church, or donate to our local library.)

You will NOT get rich quickly, but it's a nice way to earn some book money from home. You need to print out packing slips & address label each time. We re-use padded envelopes to save the $1 cost of each large one. You have to ship within 2 days of the sale, so that is sometimes a challenge.

It's a lot easier to sell books/movies at first to learn. (Ebay auctions are much more challenging to list--requires pictures, weight of pkg, timing and pricing strategy.) You're basically adding your book to a list of the identical book that people are already selling. Half/AZ pay you a flat shipping fee, and charge you a sellers fee. They are usually ABOUT equal, to help you estimate.

I'll close, but just to say that experience is a great teacher . . . and also its something your older children can learn to help with.

Thanks for responding, I think I'll give it a try with a few books. I'm really just looking to recover a little of what we spent on some of these books and not go into business. I have several hundred books that have to move and many are just too pricey to send off to a library sale.