Menu

Looking ahead

Hi. My name is Rebekah. I am currently getting ready to buy TOG Y2 for next school year. My daughter will be in second grade. I decided to check out some of the D/R books on the sample lesson plans they have online and quickly realized I can't find any of the books at the library.

I really love TOG (the looks of it!) and was planning on using the library as much as possible for LG/UG (already found most of the books in our library). But I am not sure if this is a good idea if in the end I won't be able to do the same for the D/R level. There is no way I'd be able to buy all those books new OR used!

Should I rethink our long term plan? Is it unrealistic to expect to find the upper level books at the library?

That depends on your library, really. I was just telling someone today that my library has most of the Grammar and Dialectic books, and some Rhetoric ones. Since I have a first glimpse this year of the R books, and I prefer to own them so my dc can mark in them, I could invest now in R books for my future students and try not to spend any money on the other levels. You really have a great deal of time to buy books, esp. since your library has the books for the level you are using. Think used.

Do you have $20/month for books? Check out your friends of the library regularly with a booklist in hand. Garage sales sometimes offer bargains. Paperback swap, too. Amazon, Barnes & Nobles, HomeSchoolClassifieds, Vegsource, SwapBoards here, Thriftbooks etc., etc., etc.

I suggest investing in History Core books first. Use Bookshelf Central to find the Multi-Unit Books and get started. You'll also need a good Atlas. One Atlas can be used forever! Lower level atlases are plentiful at most libraries.

After you get a nice core library, then add literature, then church. Save Philosophy for last.

Do you know about Swagbucks? It's a search engine that you may freely acquire "bucks" and shop at the Swagstore. I have received Amazon gift cards and gotten 5 books this semester, simply by using the Swagbucks search engine instead of Google or Bing. It's free. It's easy. You don't have to do anything special and it helps with TOG books :) or science books or....or...or...All I did was link from a friend (the link I provided IS my "referral link"), download a toolbar and here come the free books (shipping and all)!

Finally, since TOG does regular updates to keep in-print books in their lists, you can also ask others for resources. Your new DE TOG year 1 will not have the same books as my 1-st Year 1 Redesigned. Your library may have the OP books listed in other TOG years. Ask others what their year plan uses.

HTH :)

Edited by johnandtinagilbert
adding discount book sellers

Thanks a bunch!! I just don't want us to get all excited about TOG and then not be able to continue it into highschool!

I have heard a lot about swagbucks. I am going to look into it!

I am going to try not to sweat it too much right now and go with the flow.