Menu

anyone use a comb binding machine?

ChandlerMom

Since I am using MM and some other PDF curricula, was thinking about getting a comb binding machine rather than filling up the shelves with 3-ring binders.

Any home-binding HS'ers out there? How many pages should it be able to do? Don't know if I need a bigger one to do a semester/year at a time, or if a med 85 or 120pp is enough -- maybe kids would like a smaller book so they can see "the end" ??? I used them at work, so know how to use one (manual). :D Just trying to NOT overspend or end up buying a 2nd. :p

I have a comb binder and I am finding that I use it all the time. I have a big one that is only limited to what size combs I can buy so I can make some really big books if I want to.

I recently purchased a pack of combs that accommodates 85 pages but I've been able to get almost 100 (including covers) with relative ease.

I put everything in comb bindings- books off the Baldwin Project, MM (when I was using it), PDFs off currclick and other sites, workbooks for the kids... the possibilities are endless.

I do find the covers/combs/accessories to be a bit pricey but I guess that's just the cost of having everything put together nicely and look fairly professional- I don't like the paper 3-ring paper holders.

I like the flexibility a comb binder affords vs. a spiral binder because I know I can always open it up and change my pages around or add/remove any as needed.

An 85-100 page one will be sufficient but you won't be able to get an entire level of MM in it unless you are printing double sided. I was only able to get a few of my MM levels printed double sided so when I had to print out a level single sided, I was only able to do about 1/2 at a time- I think I did about 50 pages at a time or so. If you do print double sided, you should have no problems fitting an entire level (A or B, not both) in an 85 page comb.

I keep all my comb bound "books" in magazine holders on my shelf so they stand nicely & I make sure to buy nice labels so I know what everything is (I bought all the same colored covers to save money). I think the one change I will do is go back to buying clear covers- that way I can use the cover page of whatever PDF I printed instead of making my own label.

I have a comb binder and I am finding that I use it all the time. I have a big one that is only limited to what size combs I can buy so I can make some really big books if I want to.

I recently purchased a pack of combs that accommodates 85 pages but I've been able to get almost 100 (including covers) with relative ease.

I put everything in comb bindings- books off the Baldwin Project, MM (when I was using it), PDFs off currclick and other sites, workbooks for the kids... the possibilities are endless.

I do find the covers/combs/accessories to be a bit pricey but I guess that's just the cost of having everything put together nicely and look fairly professional- I don't like the paper 3-ring paper holders.

I like the flexibility a comb binder affords vs. a spiral binder because I know I can always open it up and change my pages around or add/remove any as needed.

An 85-100 page one will be sufficient but you won't be able to get an entire level of MM in it unless you are printing double sided. I was only able to get a few of my MM levels printed double sided so when I had to print out a level single sided, I was only able to do about 1/2 at a time- I think I did about 50 pages at a time or so. If you do print double sided, you should have no problems fitting an entire level (A or B, not both) in an 85 page comb.

I keep all my comb bound "books" in magazine holders on my shelf so they stand nicely & I make sure to buy nice labels so I know what everything is (I bought all the same colored covers to save money). I think the one change I will do is go back to buying clear covers- that way I can use the cover page of whatever PDF I printed instead of making my own label.

WOW, can you please come organize my home?? :001_smile: Seems to me that binding could be a bit addictive -- like scrapbooking for curriculum organization. ;)

I'm leaning towards one that can at least do a 1" comb (maybe more).

Q: What comb size do you use the most?

I think I'll do MM single-sided -- the blank side can serve as scratch paper as needed.