Menu

Preschool Curriculum Suggestions for my sister - prep for public K?

3lilreds in NC

Hello all!

My sister is a doctor who works 3 days per week. She is a FABULOUS mom and loves teaching her kids, but homeschooling is not in their future. Right now, their oldest is in K. She has a younger dd who will start K next year and b/g twins who will be 3 in January.

My sister and her husband aren't thrilled with their current daycare situation and are hoping to find a nanny to keep the younger children at home. She asked me for recommendations for a preschool curriculum that both she and the nanny could do with the kids, with a focus on the 4 year old but that would allow the twins to participate some as well. She needs lesson plans all laid out; she can get things ready but doesn't want to have to come up with ideas on her own. She wants something that will get her 4 yo ready for K - she wants K to be easy and fun for her.

My recommendation is MFW K. Norah is 4.5 and I think it would be exactly what she's looking for. It's easy to teach, the activities are fun, and there would be plenty for the twins to do during the science part.

Is there anything else you would recommend? I looked at BJU; it's a little expensive, IMO. Sonlight, Heart of Dakota, Winter Promise... there are TONS of options out there, but I've not done homeschool preschool myself so I haven't seen any of them. Any input is much appreciated! Thanks!

We've been using I'm Ready To Learn by WP and I've been very pleased. I know WP gets a lot of flack on this forum but I ordered in the beginning of November and it was delivered with all the books and pieces within 7 days. It is definitely open and go and would work for multiple teachers. There are a lot of activities to choose from and we skip a lot of them. My DS is an advanced almost 3 year old so he knows his colors, shapes, upper and lower case letters (all on his own) and has mastered one to one correspondence and can count to 25 but he is very immature (because he is only 2!) so the content, while a lot of it is already what he knows, is still very stimulating and interesting. He is still working on fine motor skills so a lot of the crafts and things are tough for him so I adjust accordingly.

I will just reuse the curriculum again for him next year and I think there is plenty there that we can get 1-2 more years of mileage out of it.

Just a supplemental idea, but she might be interested in the resources found here and here regarding Letter of the Week/Alphabet Path ideas. For $10 you can instantly download all the wonderful resources put together in the first blog. We'll be going through the Rod & Staff A-B-C series while adding in ideas from both of these blogs and also the Delightful Learning blog.

Dawn, thanks for the great suggestions! I have the curriculum from Confessions of a Homeschooler, and I'm really excited about it, but it involves quite a bit of printing and prep from that aspect and I'm not sure she's up for that. I will tell her about the blogs, though, because she might like some of the ideas. I know she wants open-and-go and I don't know if she wants to look for extras.

I appreciate the suggestions for me too - I want to look at the Rod & Staff ABC series for Isaac. :D

We like A Beka for Pre-K and K. No prep time, FULLY prepares a PS kid for PS, and the 3 yr old books will give the little ones something to do for the time she needs them to sit. We use MFW now, and LOVE it! However, if I had another one, I would still use A Beka for pre-K and K. I think a firm foundation is so important and A Beka provides that. I also think play is important at that age, and I like it that we can get A Beka done, and move onto play.

HTH!

Dorinda