Menu

Techy people...why won't my laptop cd drive work?

I would personally hope it was just a problem with the driver. Since I'm fearless with my own laptop and I'm running Windows, I would do a system backup on the laptop and then go into the device manager and uninstall the entry for the cd rom and then reboot the machine. If all went well, it would find the "new" cd rom when it booted up and it would now be working just fine.

My DH, who is much more sensible, says CD drive problems in laptops are usually hardware and he would just take it in to a repair shop and have them fix it and avoid the whole "eeek I killed the laptop" drama that usually happens when I muck around with them......

I would personally hope it was just a problem with the driver. Since I'm fearless with my own laptop and I'm running Windows, I would do a system backup on the laptop and then go into the device manager and uninstall the entry for the cd rom and then reboot the machine. If all went well, it would find the "new" cd rom when it booted up and it would now be working just fine.

My DH, who is much more sensible, says CD drive problems in laptops are usually hardware and he would just take it in to a repair shop and have them fix it and avoid the whole "eeek I killed the laptop" drama that usually happens when I muck around with them......

LOL! Thanks. I think I'm more like your DH. But, ugh, I hate repairs...

Just to clarify -

are you used to a window automatically popping up to ask whether you want to look at the files or play them or what-have-you? Is this what it is not doing?

Or have you actually looked at "my computer" and tried to view the CD contents that way, and it won't do it?

More info on *exactly* what doesn't work would help. Might be something simple, software-wise.