Menu

My V/V materials came. WWYD: individually or as a group and schedule questions

rafiki

I really think I would just tackle the 5th grader for now. Also, I know it is recommended for 2 - 4 hours a day, but I just cannot imagine doing that as a parent. It is a very intense program and even when my son did this program at a LMB center, they changed tutors every hour. This is one of the things that has always discouraged me from doing a refresher of this program at home. If you do choose to do it for 2 - 4 hours, then I would drop everything else, except maybe math until you are done with this intense period of therapy. I would imagine you would only do it for 6 - 8 weeks if you were to take this approach, so that's not too long to drop some of the other things.

I will add that since someone recently posted about the materials all being scripted now, I have been considering trying the program at home -- either V/V or Seeing Stars. I am taking my son for an evaluation at LMB next month to see which he would benefit from the most. If I do decide to go ahead and use V/V at home, I will set a timer for 20 or 30 minutes a day and that is all we will do. Hopefully, he would still benefit because I'm sure I'd use it for much longer than the typical 6 - 8 week period in that case.

Lisa

Every child is different as is the depth of their issues.

Although the program may recommend said number of hours, only you know what are your child's issues. Once you begin, you will be able to tell whether he can visualize or not or how much work he needs in a specific area.

For ex: you may find that your child does very well with the picture to picture and can move on to word imaging quickly. Just make sure you do it until they are comfortable doing so. Don't move on too quickly. But if he does get it, you can go on.