This appears in a college brochure, under

"Application Criteria and the order of major application factors:

1. level of difficulty of course work

2. grades

3. writing

4. SAT or ACT scores

5. letters of recommendation

6. activities

Our Admissions Committee may consider an applicant’s demonstrated interest in attending XXXXXXX University and allocation of limited guaranteed scholarship resources as criteria for admission to XXXXXXX University."

It's the last sentence that confuses me. Thanks!

The latter part of the first sentence likely means that those who do not need financial assistance are more likely to be accepted as they have "limited resources." However, that doesn't mean if you need aid, don't apply. They do have those limited resources to give out, so those they feel they want the most (using whatever criteria they want) will get offered scholarships/aid.

The first part, yes, means they pretty much want to accept students who will attend.

Our Admissions Committee may consider an applicant’s demonstrated interest in attending XXXXXXX University and allocation of limited guaranteed scholarship resources as criteria for admission to XXXXXXX University."

It's the last sentence that confuses me. Thanks!

I think the last part is saying that they have some guaranteed scholarships (perhaps these are advertised as "everyone with over a 30 on the ACT", or some such criteria) will be awarded a specific amount of scholarship).

Then they go on to say that just because you qualify for that scholarship, don't assume you will automatically be accepted and receive that scholarship. We will pay attention to who is interested in our school and award those scholarships to that pool of students. Further, if you qualify for that scholarship but we don't think you will attend, we will reject you because our scholarship is "automatic" and anyone who we admit with those credentials must be awarded the scholarship but we can't afford to give it to everyone.

HTH,

Brenda

Edited by Brenda in MA

Yes--every single student who attends this school gets an automatic merit scholarship ranging from $2000 to $4500.

So I think that is basically what they are saying: they want students who want them. There is a very high turnover rate at this school and they don't want to waste good scholarship money on students who are ambivalent about being there. So those students who display a real desire (as you all have stated) to attend will be taken into consideration.