Menu

Diary of a Wimpy Kid??

Hello All,

My son loves to read , but nothing besides Diary of a Wimpy kid, to which he was exposed at school library.

I am worried, if he doesnt read any history/literature/mystery books, he will miss many things!

I read Diary of a Wimpy kid, and nothing but talks rubbish..

Do you think the same??

How can I persuade him to read other Chapter /history books...:confused:

I don't rank it as high literature (and the kid is a bit rude, isn't he?) but I don't think it'll rot his brain or anything. And they *are* pretty funny. You didn't say how old he is (some surprisingly young kids have been reading the Wimpy Kid books lately, I've noticed). I would say try introducing other fun or relatively light things that would appeal to fans of the Wimpy kid books... things like the graphic novel series Bone or the funny middle grades novel The Strange Case of the Origami Yoda - or, if he's younger (and I know there are people here who will scream as I recommend this) Dav Pilkey's Captain Underpants books. Help him form the reading habit and see that it's not just this one series that can be fun.

At the same time alternate or put books in his reading pile that are a bit more literary but are also books with young boy appeal - things like Homer Price, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, James and the Giant Peach, Dragonrider, etc - again, these depend a lot on his age and reading level. And read longer classics aloud - Charlotte's Web, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, the Wizard of Oz books, and things like that.

I finally realized I had to buy the books. The library didn't cut it--they had to sit around for longer than 3 weeks before he felt like they were "his" and he wanted to read them. Buy your books & use them with all your children. :)

FWIW, DoWK is all my ds used to want to read too, now he's excited about the new Gulliver's Travels movie because he's read the book, twice! :D

My ds enjoyed DoWK, too. I didn't mind though, because he does read lots of other good books. We spend an obscene amount of money on books in this house! We buy them for school, we buy them for fun, we use them as rewards, we give them as gifts. We spend rainy afternoons at the bookstore, even if we can't buy new books that day.

Before we could afford to buy new books we just made judicious use of our library. Trips to the library were the reward. We spent rainy afternoons at the library. You get the idea.

So I guess my suggestion is to surround your child with a wide selection of books - biographies, historical fiction, silly fiction, children's poetry, plays, books about foreign countries, cooking, dancing, various cultures, etc.

Thanks for all your suggestions and comments!

I forgot to mention he is 7 years old, and anytime we think of buying a book, its his only choice..

anyways, I will try to introduce other "funny" characters too, and "try" to transition him to read other literature/poem books too..

Parenting is not easy..:001_huh: