Menu

Does anyone have any really good Vegan recipes?

I am looking for some new vegan recipes. It seems that I make the same things over and over. I am including a couple of our favorites. I am others will do the same.

SPICY JASMINE RICE WITH CARROTS AND CASHEWS

2 TBSP. Olive Oil

1 small red onion, finely chopped

1 jalapeno, seeded and minced

1 large carrot, grated

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 Tbsp. peeled and grated fresh ginger

2 tbsp. soy sauce (I use Bragg's Amino Acids)

1/2 tsp. honey

3 cups cooked brown jasmine rice

1 1/2 cups thawed sweet peas

1/2-3/4 cup chopped unsalted cashews

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeno and stir fry until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the carrot, garlic and ginger and stir fry until soft, about 2 minutes.

2. Add the soy sauce, honey and rive and stir-fry until the ingredients are blended and the rice is heated through, about 10 minutes.

3. To serve, place the rice in a shallow bowl, sprinkle with the chopped cashews, and serve immediately.

The amounts of the seasonings are approximate as I don't measure anymore. You just have to find what tastes good to you.

Broccoli with Orange Peel and Walnuts

2 cups broc. pieces

1 orange - zest and juice

1/4-1/2 cup walnut pieces

1/2 tbps grated ginger

2-4 tbsp soy sauce (I use Bragg's Amino acids)

1/2 tbsp lemon pepper

1 1/2 cup cooked brown rice

Spray non-stick skillet with Pam and turn on heat to med. Add nuts and cook a couple of minutes. Add orange zest and ginger. Saute until zest begins to turn golden on edges. Do not allow to burn. This will only take 2-3 minutes. Add broc., orange juice (you may need to add just a little more orange juice) and cover skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes or until broc. is tender. Add soy sauce and lemon pepper. Stir well and spoon over rice.

One thing we like is roasted vegetables. We cut potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, sweet potatoes, or any other combination of hardish vegetables into a big bowl, add a can of well rinced chick peas, and toss them all with olive oil, salt, and Italian seasoning. Then we dump it into a flat cassarole dish and cook it in a very hot oven until everything is roasted and a bit brown.

We do pea soup or baked beans, following the recipe on the package of dried peas or beans and leaving out the ham or pork. That comes out well. We have frozen corn with the beans, usually, and cornbread, or brown bread in a can (but you'd have to check the ingredients on the can because I don't remember whether its vegan or not).

We make oatmeal raisin cookies using vegetable oil and apple sauce. Those come out really well, just a little crumblier than usual. Again, we just follow the recipe on the Quaker Oats box.

We do curried vegetables on rice, or stirfried vegetables on rice. Those don't contain any animal products.

Then we have a few simple combinations that we like. We cook turban squash by splitting it, taking the seeds out, washing and salting them, and cooking them in the toaster oven, then cooking the squash with the cavity filled with frozen orange juice concentrate and cranberries. We cook zuccinni by sauteing it with olive oil and scallions. We fry potatoes with olive oil and onions, sometimes adding some corn.

These aren't really recipes, but maybe they will give you some ideas. We tend to eat the same things over and over, too.

-Nan

We love this recipe I got from http://www.fatfreevegan.com/beans/three.shtml :

Three Layer Mexican Pie

Posted by Seedy on McDougall Board

I thought this turned out rather well. The nacho cheaze was a dead-on ringer for the real thing (at least to someone who hasn't eaten cheese in a long while LOL). I think DH's and DS's would like this sort of thing - my omni brother liked it.

Bottom Layer:

Beans and corn

Mix together and layer in bottom of 9X13 baking pan:

• 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
  • 1 can dark red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
  • 1 can sweet corn with peppers (drained and rinsed)
  • 1 can chili beans in sauce (hot or mild)
  • 1 TBS dehydrated onion flakes (or finely diced fresh)

Middle Layer:

Nacho Cheaze (based on recipe from Healthy Heart Foundation)

Combine in food processer or blender:

• 1 can great northern beans (drained and rinsed)
  • 6 TBS nutritional yeast (not brewer's yeast)
  • 1/2 C salsa (hot or mild)
  • 2 TBS lemon juice
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp any type of prepared mustard

Blend until very smooth and creamy; pour over beans.

Top Layer:

• 1 bag of Hashbrown potatoes

I used Simply Potatoes Southwestern Hashbrowns but you can use regular hashbrowns mixed with 1 TBS chili powder

Spinkle hashbrowns over cheaze sauce

Bake at 375 F for 45 minutes or until hashbrowns are brown and cheaze is bubbly.

Makes 8 large serving (and would definitely max out your bean servings for the day if you're doing MWL).

Fatfreevegan Note: The bean layer came out quite dry for a number of us on the fatfree_vegan email list. We suggest adding at least a cup of a tomato-based sauce to the bean ingredients. Otherwise, the recipe's terrific, and the Nacho Cheaze is one of the best fake cheese sauces we've tasted

My note: I added some salsa to the bean layer and my family really liked that. Another time I added a can of diced tomatoes and they said they liked the salsa better. I really like the nacho cheeze and it does taste alot like the real thing!

We're not vegan, but lots of our meals are. My fav books are Vegan Planet-- the butternut and balck bean stew is awesome! Another fav is How It All Vegan. It's a lot of fun to read as well. The sweets are especially fun (although sometimes need too many ingredients. lol But fun). I tend to make a lot of brown rice and veggie stir fry meals...easy, cheap, and tasty. We also love grilled or roasted veggies with portobella mushroom bugers.