Menu

German friends . . . I have a dog question for you!

I read How to be Your Dog's Best Friend by the Monks of New Skete. They raise and train German Shepherds. They originally got their dogs from Germany but now breed them themselves, though they do occasionally get one from Germany.

In the book, they said that the dogs that arrive from Germany don't initially like the way the monks pet them b/c Germans pet differently than Americans.

Really?

They said that Americans focus more on the top of the head, ears, neck, and shoulders and sometimes a good belly rub or behind. He did not say what German dog owners do.

Honestly, what's left?

So how do German dog owners pet their dogs? I'm just dying to know!

This is Soooo funny! I bought the book when we got our dog... three years ago. I found it at the Goodwill. It did make the way I let our dog sleep in his crate with us... happen :) I also take our dog everywhere, although he stays in his crate in the car as opposed to people inviting him in. Course... he's around 65 lbs of love :)

I also take our dog everywhere, although he stays in his crate in the car as opposed to people inviting him in. Course... he's around 65 lbs of love :)

I could never do that where I live.

Interesting about the petting. I'm trying to think. As far as I can picture in head I seem to remember my family petting their dogs on the neck, around the ears, down the back, and on the belly a lot.