Menu

Where to go after RightStart Geometry?

cajun.classical

I'm trying to decide what to do next for ds 11. He has done really well in RightStart and skill-wise I think he could move into Pre-Algebra just fine--that's RightStart's recommendation. However, I'd really like to give him another year to mature before hitting algebra. He'll be a youngish 6th grader. I was leaning this way already and my brother the Math PhD agrees that ds would be better off waiting a year. So, what to do next year? I'd like to keep his math skills fresh and am considering an overview-type text. Lots of programs offer these for seventh grade math. I've looked at Arithmetic Skills Worktext (offered by Covenant Home Curriculum), A Beka Basic Mathematics, and BJU Fundamentals of Math. I also think he could use more practice on long division. He's also doing CLE Math 5 along with RS and is finding that to be no problem. Should I just continue with CLE Math 6 or switch to an overview? Any opinions out there? TIA

I think BJU Fundamentals would be great for him. My ds (5th grade) went from RightStart E to BJU 6 this year. It has been neat to review math concepts from a different publisher and we have learned a lot that either wasn't covered in RS or we didn't clue into.

My ds really wants to try BJU pre-algebra next year, but BJU Fundamentals would be a good option for him too.

Did you like RS Geometry? Did you complete it in a year? Do you recommend it?

Ferdie,

He is enjoying the Geometry very much. He wants to be an architect. We do it 4 days a week--the lessons are very short, mostly under 30 minutes--and it will probably take us a few weeks into the summer to complete it. I'm not sure though if I'll have my youngers do the program. They have different interests. I certainly like the independent aspect, for sure. Thanks for the Bob Jones recommendation. I've been looking closely at this one. I wonder how it compares to the ABeka Basic Mathematics?

It's a good, solid review of basic skills. It's a program that your child can do independently. It also goes into more "adult" applications of basic math, such as interest calculations (important for anyone in the construction field:), check book management, etc. The only problem for you might be that it doesn't include enough long division problems for your needs.

BTW, I totally agree with you about holding back and reinforcing the last several years of math.

I would have him do Lial's Basic College Mathematics. This is a thorough review of all basic maths skills, plus a little prep for algebra. I think that most children benefit from spending two years on this program, but math-bright students can often finish it in a year. What I like about it is that it is topic-driven. Each chapter takes a basic math topic and explains it from the very beginning, then provides in-depth problem solving up to high school level (if you want to take it that far). It will fill in any gaps and ensure that skills are up to the level required for algebra.

I dropped RightStart about halfway through E with my oldest, and he's thriving with CLE, so I'm not going to fix what isn't broken. I'm still undecided about what we'll do after CLE 6 though. Our co-op uses Saxon, which I'm lukewarm about, but I have another year to decide.