Menu

Moving to Philly area

Please tell me what you know about living on the northwest outskirts of Philly, Souderton, Lansdale, Harleysville, etc. My hubby has an offer in Wayne, near King of Prussia. We are not city folk. We live in a small town, and I am really worried about commute and all that. Any words of wisdom or comfort would be greatly appreciated! Our church would be in Souderton, which is 40 min from Wayne, but I wonder what that commute looks like with traffic? I am just sitting here worrying, so if you can help....

Please tell me what you know about living on the northwest outskirts of Philly, Souderton, Lansdale, Harleysville, etc. My hubby has an offer in Wayne, near King of Prussia. We are not city folk. We live in a small town, and I am really worried about commute and all that. Any words of wisdom or comfort would be greatly appreciated! Our church would be in Souderton, which is 40 min from Wayne, but I wonder what that commute looks like with traffic? I am just sitting here worrying, so if you can help....

I live in Harleysville!! :) This is a small town; it takes 45 minutes to get to the city. You'll feel right at home. This is a conservative, Old Mennonite area with good people (but there are a few of us, on the other side, to balance things out :D). Lots of homeschoolers, so the school district is very good about it. Nothing exciting happens here. There's the Montgomery Mall about 30 minutes away and KOP mall is about 35 minutes away. They try to keep this area as residential as possible. The most exciting news lately is that Pizza Hut Express, Dunkin Donuts and Dairy Queen have opened in Harleysville. We think we're so cool! ;)

Your dh's commute would not be fun, but it would be a common one. People live here for the small town feel and affordability and commute to areas like Wayne or Philly. Wayne is in a nice area, an expensive area. It is on the Main Line where a lot of wealthy people live. Definitely suburban, not city.

I really cannot tell you how long the commute is in traffic - maybe between an hour and hour 15 minutes. Your dh could take the turnpike or 422, I suppose. Harleysville would be closer for him. Souderton and Telford would add 5-15 minutes.

Please ask away if you have any questions. I'd be happy to take pics of the area if you're interested. ;)

Edited by lisabees