Menu

Phonics Road pros/cons?

treestarfae

No because after we finish 4 levels of PR, it moves to latin and we will do something else for latin so we will then move to MCT for grammar and writing. My guy is in Kindergarten and doing PR1. We're in no hurry but I expect that we'll be done sometime between 3rd and 4th grade and then move on. We are loving PR1 and as of right now plan to go through all 4 levels.

PR is not a "yearly" program, but a level program. All 4 levels will cover elementary/middle school grammar. We plan to finish level 4 in 6th grade, use Write Shop for a year to increase writing practice and genre experience, and go to the Latin Road for grammar and Latin at the same time. If you finish all three LR levels, you have 2 years of high school Latin.

Because year 3 and beyond are so rich in content, stretching them out is no problem. It also makes it nice to use the skills acquired in PR and apply them in history and science (outlining, notetaking, writing). It follows the WTM suggestions for summaries, etc. very nicely.

PR is not a "yearly" program, but a level program. All 4 levels will cover elementary/middle school grammar. We plan to finish level 4 in 6th grade, use Write Shop for a year to increase writing practice and genre experience, and go to the Latin Road for grammar and Latin at the same time. If you finish all three LR levels, you have 2 years of high school Latin.

Because year 3 and beyond are so rich in content, stretching them out is no problem. It also makes it nice to use the skills acquired in PR and apply them in history and science (outlining, notetaking, writing). It follows the WTM suggestions for summaries, etc. very nicely.

Interesting! Thanks for this info.

Pros:

PR boils down to no gaps and application. Using one resource for all LA connects spelling to reading to grammar to writing to literature and constantly reinforces one "subject" with another. Your student will apply, apply, apply what they're learning in ways that make sense to the student and are helpful in real life. When we used other programs, they could make A's on spelling practices and tests, then misspell the same spelling words in their writing assignments. This problem is almost completely alleviated with PR, as I no longer see it with my remediated student, nor the 3 who are actively using PR.

Teacher training is another pro. The DVDs not only teach how to use PR, but give excellent examples on how to teach, period. The instruction is clear. You'll gain confidence on how to apply the method. Some people don't love the DVDs (b/c they wouldn't like any DVD), but you'll find once you get the hang of the program, you can easily fast forward where necessary. There's even a mom here who hated them at first, but now appreciates them very much (yeah!).

Mrs. Beers is a master at not wasting time and using each part of the program with Intention. There is no busy work. No boring, endless exercises. There is just enough practice to solidify, but not so much that your dc will overkill with repititious exercises. It a nice meeting of a gentle CM and Classical approach: gentle yet rigorous coupled with effective.

The Rule and Grammar Tunes are excellent. They stick. They make good use of O/G spelling rules.

It's easy to grab and go if you take nice notes for yourself while watching the DVD.

Cons:

There is no finger-spelling or tapping instruction for syllabication. Easily remedied, though, by simply adding it into your instruction. So, con -- yes, but one that should prevent usage -- no.

The teaching of y as /i/ can be annoying, but again, easily remedied by a) teaching y as /E/ instead, or b)making light of it and having a good leprechaun laugh about it! You'll see that others have added the sound and a 4th sound to the letter O (like AAS teaches it).

This is the first program I have chosen to endorse in 12 years of hsing b/c I have been so pleased with it. I find it easy to implement (there is a small learning curve); I find it works exceptionally well (and I'm a tough teacher to please, a tweaker, and have pretty high standards); I have different learning styles doing quite well with it; I used it to remediate a most terrible speller and it worked!

I am a registered affiliate as of this fall, so if there are any ??? I can answer, I'm happy to help.

Pros:

PR boils down to no gaps and application. Using one resource for all LA connects spelling to reading to grammar to writing to literature and constantly reinforces one "subject" with another. Your student will apply, apply, apply what they're learning in ways that make sense to the student and are helpful in real life. When we used other programs, they could make A's on spelling practices and tests, then misspell the same spelling words in their writing assignments. This problem is almost completely alleviated with PR, as I no longer see it with my remediated student, nor the 3 who are actively using PR.

Teacher training is another pro. The DVDs not only teach how to use PR, but give excellent examples on how to teach, period. The instruction is clear. You'll gain confidence on how to apply the method. Some people don't love the DVDs (b/c they wouldn't like any DVD), but you'll find once you get the hang of the program, you can easily fast forward where necessary. There's even a mom here who hated them at first, but now appreciates them very much (yeah!).

Mrs. Beers is a master at not wasting time and using each part of the program with Intention. There is no busy work. No boring, endless exercises. There is just enough practice to solidify, but not so much that your dc will overkill with repititious exercises. It a nice meeting of a gentle CM and Classical approach: gentle yet rigorous coupled with effective.

The Rule and Grammar Tunes are excellent. They stick. They make good use of O/G spelling rules.

It's easy to grab and go if you take nice notes for yourself while watching the DVD.

Cons:

There is no finger-spelling or tapping instruction for syllabication. Easily remedied, though, by simply adding it into your instruction. So, con -- yes, but one that should prevent usage -- no.

The teaching of y as /i/ can be annoying, but again, easily remedied by a) teaching y as /E/ instead, or b)making light of it and having a good leprechaun laugh about it! You'll see that others have added the sound and a 4th sound to the letter O (like AAS teaches it).

:iagree: with Tina's review. I am so impressed with PR so far. I do teach the y and o phonograms like AAS (adding a sound for each). I am actually using The ABC's and All Their Tricks to work through that right now. :D I wish I would've used Mrs. Beers' way from the beginning but we started with AAS and learned the phonograms that way. They do make sense to my brain and it's not that difficult to make minor adjustments along the way. English is a little wacky anyway so we're constantly having to tweak our brains to make sense of how words are spelled or pronounced. :D:D

I teach the fourth sound of O and that I can say the long E sound as well as the syllabication from AAS. I also use finger spelling that I learned from SWR. These things are easy tweaks that I add to PR. But, had I never used either of the other programs, PR would still easily meet our needs. I just find that these things were already in our "toolbox" and we still implement them.

Is there any way to learn SWR's fingerspelling techniques without buying SWR? What part of SWR's materials contain instructions for this? :D I've actually been trying to get a hold of the materials used because I'm soooooooooooooo curious and love having a full "tool box" myself!!!

Finger spelling....pretty simple!

Hold up your hand and segment a word. Work from their left, so you will start with the pinky finger on your right hand. You pop up one finger for each sound that uses one letter, two fingers for a two-letter phonogram, etc. So, the word "dog" say /d/ and pop up one finger, then /o/ and another finger, then /g/ and another finger. Spread the fingers so that dc can see that there are three sounds and each one requires one letter.

Word "ship" say /sh/ and hold up two fingers kind of stuck together so that dc can see that it is one sound, but requires two letters. Then /i/ and add another finger spread from the others, then /p/ and another finger. At end of word, you would be holding up say your pinky and ring finger (stuck together for the sh sound) then your middle finger seperate and then your pointer finger. Three sounds with the first requiring two letters.

Word "chore" say /ch/ and pop up pinky and ring fingers stuck together. Say /O/ and add a finger, then /r/ and another finger/, then add another finger and say nothing...this is for a silent letter.

When doing more than one syllable, ask what the first syllable is and then finger spell it. Start over for the second syllable.

Of course, use three fingers for three letter phonograms and so on. Just explain it to the kids and they pick it up pretty quickly. I used it for every word until they understood the process. But, now only use it when they hesitate on a word.

Is there any way to learn SWR's fingerspelling techniques without buying SWR? What part of SWR's materials contain instructions for this? :D I've actually been trying to get a hold of the materials used because I'm soooooooooooooo curious and love having a full "tool box" myself!!!

Linda (Homeschooling6) has a great blog post on it. That's how I learned it (THANK YOU, Linda!)

Finger spelling....pretty simple!

Hold up your hand and segment a word. Work from their left, so you will start with the pinky finger on your right hand. You pop up one finger for each sound that uses one letter, two fingers for a two-letter phonogram, etc. So, the word "dog" say /d/ and pop up one finger, then /o/ and another finger, then /g/ and another finger. Spread the fingers so that dc can see that there are three sounds and each one requires one letter.

Word "ship" say /sh/ and hold up two fingers kind of stuck together so that dc can see that it is one sound, but requires two letters. Then /i/ and add another finger spread from the others, then /p/ and another finger. At end of word, you would be holding up say your pinky and ring finger (stuck together for the sh sound) then your middle finger seperate and then your pointer finger. Three sounds with the first requiring two letters.

Word "chore" say /ch/ and pop up pinky and ring fingers stuck together. Say /O/ and add a finger, then /r/ and another finger/, then add another finger and say nothing...this is for a silent letter.

When doing more than one syllable, ask what the first syllable is and then finger spell it. Start over for the second syllable.

Of course, use three fingers for three letter phonograms and so on. Just explain it to the kids and they pick it up pretty quickly. I used it for every word until they understood the process. But, now only use it when they hesitate on a word.

Many thanks! :001_smile: What fun! Okay. If I only have five fingers on one hand will I run out of fingers for longer/multi-syllable words? :D Do I use both hands if needed??

P.S. DH gave me the green light on ordering Level Two. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Edited by abrightmom

Hey...I would love to know how you all do the Y as /E/, so the Y says /y/, /i/, /I/, /E/...correct?

This is something I asked Mrs. Beers about and also on the SWR list, they absolutely say do not use E because of what? I still don't understand and this is something that drove me nuts when I tried to teach from SWR years ago, ok "think to spell" Baby /b/ /A/ /b/ /i/....

Is it hard to add one and teach the rule, I have told them that the Y says /I/ in a single syllable word at the end and they Y says /E/ at the end of a second syllable?

What are the 4 sounds of O, /o/, /O/..../oo/?

Thanks!

Kim

Hey...I would love to know how you all do the Y as /E/, so the Y says /y/, /i/, /I/, /E/...correct?

This is something I asked Mrs. Beers about and also on the SWR list, they absolutely say do not use E because of what? I still don't understand and this is something that drove me nuts when I tried to teach from SWR years ago, ok "think to spell" Baby /b/ /A/ /b/ /i/....

Is it hard to add one and teach the rule, I have told them that the Y says /I/ in a single syllable word at the end and they Y says /E/ at the end of a second syllable?

What are the 4 sounds of O, /o/, /O/..../oo/?

Thanks!

Kim

Yes, Y says /y/ /i/ /I/ and /E/. I taught it the SWR way then switched to AAS and liked their way much better. I have now taught it with the fourth sound to all three kids and we do not find it confusing at all. I do not remember the exact reason behind not teaching it in SWR, but I think it was something about causing confusion. When we switched to PR, I stuck with the AAS way and it has not been a problem. I think trying to go back to babi would confuse them.

And, the fourth sound of O is short u as in the word "mother." Phonics Road teaches that the O says its short sound. Most of us say "mother" with the O saying a short U sound. My kids actually sound it out and mark it as the fourth sound of O without me teaching it that way. So, it makes sense to them. If I had to tell them it says short O, they would have to remember that when sounding it out for spelling.