Menu

Yaahooo!!!! Reading Success!

mothergooseof4

Ds 8yo has struggled with reading. He seemed to have a problem crossing over from CLE's Learning to Read to real books. This fall has been a real struggle for him and has really done a number on his attitude towards reading.

We started PR1 recently and he is on wk 9. We also started OPGTR on like lesson 50....a point that was still easy for him, but would work to build confidence. He is flying through it, but it is reinforcing a lot for him.

I have pulled a few readers off of the shelf here and there and he would struggle through them. Last week, he brought me Nate the Great, which I thought would be hard for him....not impossible since he knows every phonogram used in the book, just difficult since he still struggles with having to sound out every word. Well, this was finally the book that peeked his interest. He actually started bringing the book to me and asking to read. We did about 10 pages per day and he just finished. And, I have to say, his fluency was much better by the end. Plus, he was finally remembering some of those phonograms that seemed to slip his mind before. I guess it just took finding something that he wanted to read.

I stopped at the library and got every book they had in this series!!! Any recommendations for books that might peek his interest when he is done with these????

Edited by mothergooseofthree

Congrats!!! Nate the Great did it for my son too! He read a few of them and then flew into more advanced books - so I can't tell you what else to find. Just be prepared for him to take off. I didn't believe it when people told me he'd go from Nate the Great to Boxcar Children so quickly. But he did!

Congrats!!! Nate the Great did it for my son too! He read a few of them and then flew into more advanced books - so I can't tell you what else to find. Just be prepared for him to take off. I didn't believe it when people told me he'd go from Nate the Great to Boxcar Children so quickly. But he did!

Oh, this is what I am hoping for! He has been so frustrated that other kids in his Sunday School class can read and he thinks he can't. He could, just with a lot of labor. One night, he and his brother were staying up late. (They share a room) Older ds was reading so this one tried to read Cat in the Hat and came to me crying and saying he was stupid and would never be able to read like my older ds. We sat and he read several pages with me. He COULD do it. He just needed me to remind him of rules and phonograms here and there.

He still needed me to help him with Nate the Great, but usually he would get frustrated when he made a mistake. That only led to more mistakes. This time he stayed focused on the story and just read. I really only had to help a little because he did not get frustrated and was able to recall things he had learned. OPG and PR have not covered anything that he did not know, yet. But, with the consistency and reinforcement that they have provided, combined with finding something he is interested in reading, he finally was able to focus on the desire to read and not the failures. Obviously, for this kiddo, finding stories that spark his interest is key.

I am so enjoying both of these programs with my kids. CLE Learning to Read was a great program. I taught it using OG methods and did adapt some of it since I had the SWR/AAS background. I did not care for CLE LA for him and I knew I planned to go to something more OG based. We seemed to be floundering for the first part of this year with just AAS and various readers. OPG and PR have gotten this ds and I back on track and progressing.

Dd was half way through CLE LTR and progressing nicely. But, I switched her over to OPG/PR as well. She is doing well and this fits my long-term goals better. She will start the spelling lists in PR in Jan.

Merry....I am sure Nate the Great was on my shelf from when I used to do SL. I think I kept all of the readers, so I should have most of those. Frog and Toad did not interest him though. I think he has spotted Magic Tree House books and I told him we will give them a try after we read all of the Nate the Great books we got from the library.

Sorry this got so long.....just start rambling!