Menu

A bit confused about choosing a Singapore text

KSGrace

This is what the website says about choosing a text from Singapore (copied below)...what? I am still a bit confused. Can any of you Singapore users explain it to me? I'm assuming that my to-be 7th grader would start in 7th grade math (he does well in math) but I don't get which text I should use...New Elementary, New Syllabus or New Math Counts??

Thanks for the info.

Grades 7-10

Step 1Decide which series to get.

We carry three different series: New Elementary Mathematics, New Syllabus Mathematics, and New Mathematics Counts. In Singapore students attend Secondary School after Primary School, so these texts start with level 1 for Secondary 1. The New Elementary Math and New Syllabus Math are a series of 4 books; New Mathematics Counts is a 5-book series. Most home schoolers have been using the New Elementary Mathematics up until now, as it is the original series we carried. It is also the most challenging of the three series. New Math Counts is the least challenging. All of these integrate algebra, geometry, and introductory trigonometry, so there are not separate pre-algebra, algebra 1, geometry, and algebra 2 texts.

The main component for each of these series is the textbook. New Elementary Mathematics and New Syllabus Mathematics have optional workbooks. All of them have an answer key to the regular daily problem sets in the back. New Elementary Mathematics has additional problem sets which only have answers (as well as solutions) in the Teacher's Manuals for New Elementary Math. None of these have a Teacher's Guide with background information or teaching suggestions or lesson plans - the teaching is in the textbook. Only New Elementary Mathematics 1 and 2 currently has a solutions Manual.

Doing the placement test is a good idea.

You should also check out the forums (at http://www.singaporemath.com). There is a board specifically to help people decide which books to buy, and you may find info there to help you decide, or you can post your question and someone may be able to give you suggestions.

There is a chart somewhere on the website that compares the three series. Generally, NEM is considered the hardest, but has solutions manuals available. Both NEM and NSM are four-year series. NMC covers the same material over 5 years so is considered easier. My son is using NSM1 and really likes it. He did find that the first few chapters were pretty tough, though, and I've heard lots of people say the same thing about NEM.

Nikita

The placement tests are exit tests, so yes, if he passes the 6B test that would indicate he is ready to go on to the first book in any of NEM, NSM, or NMC. If he has just finished a regular gr 6 text, however, he may not have covered everything in 6B. You might want to look at the placement tests first, before deciding which one he should attempt. I would also recommend that he really should do both 6A and 6B placement tests to be sure he's covered all the topics in the Singapore gr6 material - the A and B books contain different topics and he'll need to have mastered all of them.

Nikita

Definately take the placement test. My son finished Saxon 7/6 and did very well. We wanted a change and jumped in at the 6A for Singapore and found we needed to back up and do some quick review. Going back to 5A was a better introduction, got him used to the format of Singapore and kept things going smoothly. I keep reminding him, we are not trying to race through. It doesn't hurt to go back and just be sure you've really gotten it all. Saxon may not have taught some of the concepts that Singapore did. We are also using the CWP supplement from Singapore and that has been great. It has been challenging for us both to learn their process (drawing bars) to solve for answers but fun after you figure it out.

This is what the website says about choosing a text from Singapore (copied below)...what? I am still a bit confused. Can any of you Singapore users explain it to me? I'm assuming that my to-be 7th grader would start in 7th grade math (he does well in math) but I don't get which text I should use...New Elementary, New Syllabus or New Math Counts??

NEM is generally considered to be the best, if that makes a difference! Math Counts in particular is way watered down.