Menu

English grammar

C_l_e_0..Q_c

My son is now ready to tackle English grammar. He's asking questions that would be answered if he knew English grammar 'officially'. The other day he asked whether one should say "there is a multitude of answers' or 'there are a multitude of answers'. I didn't know (and still don't).

Anyway, I'm looking for an English grammar book. My son has had French grammar since grade 1, he's onto his second year of high school Latin although he started Latin also in grade 1, he's in his third year of high school Spanish. So he knows a lot of grammar already. What he (and I) needs is a book that would cover the tricky part of English grammar. There's not much need for something that would cover the parts of speech for example, or how to use a comma. He doesn't really need diagramming either. His grasp of sentence structure is already quite strong because of the other languages he knows.

I was thinking about Voyages in English 8. We're Catholic, so a Catholic curriculum would be acceptable, but my preference goes to something completely secular. What other options are there?

Hmm, now that I'm slightly more awake, I vaguely remember that I posted such a request before... I should look for it, no? :)

I was thinking that! :)

Anyway, it should be "is" because multitude is a collective noun, which is considered to be singular. For example, "The class is ready for the test." But I bet many English speakers would say "are" there and no one would bat an eye. It doesn't even sound wrong LOL.

V in E does come in a secular version.

Here's the other thread.

http://welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214987

It's not quite on the same subject though. But it does reflect that I really don't know what to do with my son's English now!

We are starting IEW B in January, although I'm not sure it will really help. It will because he's a weak writer in every language he knows, so there's good that will come from following the IEW program for sure. But it won't cover grammar.

Guest dolorespoul

This method is based on a traditional approach to language instruction in Latin and ancient greek, they are also not used since the Middle Ages. The aim was to maintain a formal standard, the use of these languages and the treatment of grammar, in theory, a single study.

I was thinking that! :)

Anyway, it should be "is" because multitude is a collective noun, which is considered to be singular. For example, "The class is ready for the test." But I bet many English speakers would say "are" there and no one would bat an eye. It doesn't even sound wrong LOL.

V in E does come in a secular version.

Collective nouns can be used with either a singular or a plural verb. It depends on whether all the members of the "collective" are acting together or separately.