Menu

Teaching Company Geometry?

My youngest is back in ps and will be starting Geometry next month with a horrid curriculum IMO. I am going to supplement it with something decent. My plan is to buy TT's textbook as I have good experience with that from my older two, but, since I haven't actually purchased anything yet... is the Geometry program with the Teaching Company worthwhile instead? (It's less expensive and we are on a tight budget right now.)

The HS math lectures from Teaching Co aren't full courses. The DVDs come with a thin little workbook with maybe 10-12 problems for each lesson. There are only 30 lessons in the Geometry course, so if you did one lesson and 10 problems per day, you'd be done in 6 weeks. The math courses are really meant to be used as either a supplement to a regular HS course, or as a refresher for someone who already took the course and needs to brush up on their skills a bit.

Jackie

The HS math lectures from Teaching Co aren't full courses. The DVDs come with a thin little workbook with maybe 10-12 problems for each lesson. There are only 30 lessons in the Geometry course, so if you did one lesson and 10 problems per day, you'd be done in 6 weeks. The math courses are really meant to be used as either a supplement to a regular HS course, or as a refresher for someone who already took the course and needs to brush up on their skills a bit.

Jackie

Thanks for the info. That's definitely not what I'm looking for.

Jackie

Jackie is correct. We own and use the Geometry course to supplement one student at home and one in ps. My dd is doing a course through Keystone and strongly dislikes the text. I find it easy to line up one of the TC lectures when she needs more help. Then we refer to Jacob's Geometry for extra practice. That is the book the professor uses and recommends.

Thanks. I think I'm just going to stick with TT Geometry as it worked well for my other two boys and I don't need the CD's at all, so it will at least be less expensive than it could be. Kiddo and I will be working nightly to get him through the school's text (CPM math) as well as teaching him Geometry with TT. He's inspired to do well now mentally so that will help. Math is his least favorite subject, but he sees/saw his brothers' scores on the PSAT/ACT and where those scores are taking them via merit aid toward colleges (and we've had the "money" talk). He's going to need to pick up math processing speed as well as learning the actual subject. CPM math alone will do neither for him. Math talented kids in our school seldom "get it" from that curriculum, much less math average or slower kids.