Menu

Rigth Start to Chalkdust... basic Math , or Pre-Algebra?

christine in al

My oldest two have completed RS through E at the end of 4th grade. I started my oldest this year (7th) with Lial's BCM , but after two years of Singapore Math (5A through 6B) BCM was just too easy so I switched him to the Aufmann Pre-Algebra book, which I believe Chalkdust uses. The problems seem more complex to me.

Second ds really did not warm to Singapore math (although both have been doing CWP since 2nd grade) so I decided to have him do CLE Math 5. He easily tested into it and has a 99 average on tests and quizzes. I do admit the 4 pages of work each day is a bit tedious and I do miss the thought provoking math that I did with oldest in SM. Some of the percentage and rate problems had me scratching my head. But this ds needed more paper and pencil accuracy work.

I really do not agree with Dr. Cotter that RS students can go right to Algebra after Lev. E. I think an extra year or two of polishing the basics really helps. I guess it really depends on your student which level of CD to go into. I have yet to figure out what the difference is between Basic Math and Pre-Algebra. If it were me and I didn't want to buy both levels, I would get the Pre-Algebra and take it really slow through 6th and 7th grades. The Auffman book is a big college level book.