Menu

Catholic 1st Holy Communion

So ds7 is currently part of a program with all the other local children with a view to taking his First Communion in May next year. I have been through this with my 2 elders and I was wondering whether it is acceptable to go through the program but not take part on the day with the other kids but to do it separately at an ordinary Mass? The reason being that I think that for me the day has become somewhat of a circus.

Most people have family coming from a long way and so make a weekend of it. A big party, fancy dresses for the little girls and suits for the boys. Weeks and weeks of preparations where all the parents meet to take a vote on the flowers, order of service, music etc to be honest I didn't plan my wedding with that much detail!

Now we don't have any family/friends who are interested in coming and dh isn't a Catholic so although he takes part he doesn't care in the slightest what we do. So whereas the other families will be fighting over how many pews they are allocated, I only need 2 seats-for my other 2 boys!

I'd rather just take ds to Mass myself one Sunday after he has gone through the program and do it without any fuss and the enormous build up.

Is that ok?

Is there something I haven't thought of. I know ds won't mind so that isn't a problem

Stephanie

If you had a big celebration with your older two children, then I suspect the little one might feel gypped that you didn't do the same for him.

I'm a cradle Catholic and First Communions are a *HUGE* deal in my family. It's like the biggest celebration in the child's life between baptism and high school graduation (for whatever reason Confirmations are more low-key). We had close to 50 people at my oldest's First Communion and would've had more except we live on the opposite coast from the majority of our relatives. So that's probably the kind of tradition that most of the other families are coming from, KWIM?

I would recommend talking to your priest about the issue.

Yes I do understand why it is a big deal and we did have a few people to my other boy's Communions simply because there were more people in their lives at that point. Those people for various reasons are not around anymore so I simply can't give him a big party.

I will discuss it with the priest and hopefully he'll understand

Stephanie