Menu

HELP! What to do about dd's spelling?

mia78

So I have two spelling curriculums I purchased that won't work. I bought Spelling Power and I just can't wrap my head around it, let alone me teach it to her.

She's a 'natural speller' and is more advanced in spelling/reading than writing and comprehension. She likes Spelling Workout, but I'm tired of spending money buying books that aren't challenging enough for her. (Just bought D and a flip through confirms it is too easy.) The buy it and see is getting old fast.

I'm wondering if there's some internet or computer based all in one spelling program that can tailor itself to her needs without me needing to purchase multiple levels to find out where she is?

How old is your DD? I've been using Spelling Power for the last three years with my DD8 who is a natural speller. The quickstart section has a fairly simplified guide to get you started. I've read bits and pieces of the whole manual, but here's my current system:

Day 1- she copies the entire list into her spelling dictionary on the correct page. (which is just blank copies from one of the resource pages in the back put into a three ring binder.) I've never really had her memorize the rule because they aren't all that helpful in my opinion.

Day 2- Quiz on the entire list. It is rare that she misses more than one or two words. If she does, I have her follow the 10 step study plan, including writing the word in a sentence, and retest her the next day. Usually I just make a mental note to ask her that word several times throughout the day until I'm sure she knows it.

Day 3- Start over with a new list OR I do have the activity cards and will sometimes use those to help study tricky words. But mostly we just go on to the next list.

Whenever she fills up a page in her dictionary I have her cut apart the words and alphabetize them, then glue them onto a piece of construction paper.

Spelling Power doesn't have to be as complicated as it looks. Make it work for you. Hope this helps!

My son is also a natural speller and has done well with Sequential Spelling. I think they have a DVD program....we just use the book. We recently purchased a computer game called Spelling Jam. It set up like a spelling bee with characters you pick. The words get challenging pretty quickly. Ds loves it though:)