Menu

I'm struggling with reading assignments for 9 yo ds...

Shasta Mom

I'm really happy with my present curriculum, which on any given day includes a reading from our Elson Readers (which I won't drop and includes a short discussion), 1 hour of writing/grammar, 1/2 hour of vocab/latin, STOW Vol II twice a week,and then other non-language arts topics. Our academic day is 4 hrs long. In addition to this, we do 1 1/2 hrs music, and then I assign 40 minutes of pleasure reading and 10 minutes of journal writing each night. So my dilemma occurs when I look at all the supplemental reading folks are having their kids do (mainly in history), and I honestly can't find the time. I want ds to enjoy reading - he's a bit advanced in reading, but NEVER picks up a book on his own. His daily reading sessions usually begin with some bickering between him and I about starting, and then once he starts, if I interrupt him he can't hear me, so I know he's enjoying it. Now, I have spent a bit of time researching reading lists for his age group and just about salivate when it's time to start a new book because I love what we're doing, but if I were to assign more history reading, then a lot of these classics would go out the window (unless he awoke one morning and decided he wanted to read). So, how do you parents find time to get your child to do this wonderful supplemental (history) reading?:)

the reading I assign ds is pretty short. Then, like you, I assign 30-40 min./day "free" reading (he has to pick from a shelf I keep stocked with books that I want him to get to at some point). Honestly, though, I still read aloud to him at least once/day and for SOTW - he's getting that from the CD.

To be more specific I'm reading to him: This Country of Ours, Island Story, Trial and Triumph, Abraham Lincoln's World, Hillyer's Geography - these get read once a week. He listens to SOTW on CD. He's reading a biography of Napoleon (one ch./week) and To California By Covered Wagon (Landmark book) once/week or more. Then he's doing free reading daily. (He's inclined to want to re-read the Chronicles of Narnia, so I may need to redirect him soon!) I think we could probably do more reading, but I don't spend a whole hour on writing/grammar yet (maybe we spend 30-40?) or 1/2 hour on vocab/latin (but we still do spelling here).

So my .02 is gradually increase reading if you want, but feel free to add books on cd/tape, etc. :)

I have an 8 & 10 yr old. We always have one read-aloud going that sometimes is tied into history and sometimes is just a good classic book. We start our day with about 20 - 30 min of the read-aloud and also do 20 - 30min before bed.

Both girls have to read 45 minutes after lunch and I pick the book - again sometimes tied to history others are classics. Then they both read about 30 minutes before lights out at night and this can be a book they pick. Most often they pick the "required" reading book because they are enjoying the story.

Neither were readers naturally, but after about a year of this schedule, they do tend to pick up a book to read when having down time or when heading out in the car. With this system, they each read about 4 books in a month and we read together another 2 books. At 6 books a month you can get through a lot of good books and it doesn't really seem to take much time each day.