Menu

Choosing translations for classics?

I'm loading up my amazon cart for next year, and I find myself wondering how other folks decide which translations to use for their reading of ancients.

I know Fagle's version of the Iliad is highly recommended...but I like my Lattimore's. :) But is one, well, more accurate than another? How does one find out something like that?

Thanks for any advice or direction that anyone can give me.

I use various sources such as this board, a lit teacher that I know and admire, and books like TWEM and Invitation to the Classics. Also, since Nan mentioned looking up her lit books on Wikipedia to see why they are important, I have started looking up titles there. At the end of the article it will usually list different versions, sometimes with descriptions. It also has connections to modern culture such as films that are based on or refer to the books, which is not what you asked about but which I find interesting. :-)

Yes! I was just coming here to ask this. I am looking for a good version of the Iliad and Odyssey. I haven't read either yet!

BTW, I highly recommend Stephen Mitchell's Gilgamesh, a New English Version. Loooved it. (It has some descriptive s*x moments in it, but I don't know whether all versions are like this or not.)

I use WTM, WEM, Invitation to the Classics, and Veritas Press catalog :) (basically what would be used in Omnibus). If I get a consensus I generally go with that.

Just a thought - it might not be worth anything - but I got most of the ancients and medieval books from buy.com, they're about $1-2 less than Amazon - if you're getting a lot of books, that can add up. Plus they used to give $10 off every Google checkout - I did that a LOT. I'm not sure whether they still do that, but I saved a lot that way. :)