Menu

StartWrite

I think you can only purchase it from http://www.startwrite.com

It is great if you intend to create your own handwriting sheets. You can download a free trial at the website.

I used to type in different things for handwriting sheets. You can adjust the letter size and choose from all kinds of fonts....cursive, italics, TONS to choose from. You can also remove the middle line or the top line if you like.

Now, I usually just use it to make writing paper. My younger kids still need the wider lines with the middle line. I make them full pages for spelling practice and such. Then I also made a page with the top blank and dd does copywork from OPGTR and illustrates it at the top. For my 5th grader whose handwriting has gradually gotten worse and worse, I made writing paper with much smaller lines and the middle line just for spelling practice. He is required to really focus on letter formation during this time as well. If things don't improve, he will be doing all writing on this for a while.

Download the demo and keep it open long enough to get a good feel for it. Once you close it, it loses some functionality (mainly some letters/numbers can't be used). I kept it open for about a week, then Windows updated and rebooted.

I found the program to have a very... Windows 95 feel? I also had some weird glitches happen, but nothing major, and no crashes with what I did. I decided that I'll probably eventually go with Educational Fontware. Haven't made a purchase either way though. Startwrite did make nice copywork pages with the HWT lines and font. And for cursive, it automatically joins it as you're typing. One thing I liked about Startwrite over EF was that the lines can be black, blue, or red. That's not a dealbreaker for me though. Just a nice touch. :)

We use and love StartWrite. I type out my dc's copywork and then leave a blank line so that they can copy it directly below. My kid's love it when I add clipart to their copywork (such a small thing, but oh how it makes a difference!) I also love that I can easily change the size of the font for each of my dc. So, they may be copying the same thing (or partly the same), but it can be sized for their ability.

We've had no problems with crashing/gliches.