Menu

We've Been Doing MCT For a Week...

Trish

And my fourth grader LOVES it. I was worried a bit because I thought he wouldn't have the patience for it. He's strong in language arts but I bought the beginning level, Island etc., because I wanted to capture the flavor of the whole program. I knew I was going to like it....but this is my student who is always asking "can we abbreviate this?" and "can we skip that?" and is bored unless he picks out the subject.

Well, with Grammar Island he just wants to snuggle up to the book! He laughs at the imagery. He's repeating some of the memorable lines in the book several days after we covered it. He brings it up randomly during the day when we're not doing school. He saves Grammar for the last subject of the day because "it's fun."

We're going through at a faster pace than I'd planned because he always asks if we can do a few more pages. I have no regrets about starting at the easier level, we're both enjoying it so much. He laughs more with this than any other curriculum. And I'm liking the "new way to think about language" aspect.

:lol:

I started the Magic Lens 1 a couple of weeks ago. We really love, it, too. It's not even my son's favorite subject, but he likes learning the stems and trying to think up words that have them, then figuring out if the words can be literally defined by their parts. I laughed when you said your son repeats some of the lines, because mine just blurts out, "A subject is a subject and an object is an object," and "Time makes verbs tense." Good luck!