Menu

belgium waffle iron...what's a great one for Christmas gift?

My son wants one for Christmas and I am clueless what brand, how they work and do you really need one that flips? Are the cheap ones as good as the more expensive ones?

thanks...going to get it this week if I can find it!

I believe that the Presto FlipSide is the best belgian waffle maker (for home use) on the market. It is inexpensive ($39.95), but it makes WONDERFUL waffles, every single time. They don't every stick, they're light and fluffy on the inside, but crisp on the outside. The handle is small, and the iron stores vertically, so it takes up hardly any space in the cabinet. I've been using ours almost weekly for about three years, and have had absolutely no problems with it. It still works as well as the day I bought it.

About a year ago, I did TONS of research - and asked on various forums like this one. This is the one we got and, although I've only just gotten it and only used it a few times - because I couldn't order it sooner - I love it. If you can afford it, it's a fabulous one.

A good waffle iron:

1. It should preferably be able to flip part way through cooking so that the waffles are light, fluffy, and airy.

2. It should be easy to clean, preferably even with removable plates.

3. It should have bigger wells to make thicker waffles

4. It should have adjustable temperature – so that the waffles are light and not too brown or too crispy

This is what someone on another forum wrote:

“We went through MANY trial of waffle makers about a year ago. I was lucky to receive ANY one I wanted as a gift. I tried many, but returned them. The two finalists were the Kitchen Aid and a Williams Sonoma one.

We ended up keeping the Kitchen Aid over the Williams Sonoma for ease of use, and better texture. We use it a lot (2 plus times a week at a minimum). The Williams Sonoma is not quite a Belgian and not quite a regular waffle. It's very good, but we like the Kitchen Aid better. The Kitchen Aid is easier to clean and quite a workhorse.

I never would have paid this much for a waffle maker without receiving it as a gift. However, I would now, if I could afford too, simply because I know firsthand the difference in the waffles it makes."

I think if it's for your son, the cool factor of the flippy waffle iron is a must. There were two local stores that offered them as one of their Black Friday items and the flip waffles irons were the first houseware items to be sold out.

I would buy an inexpensive one because it's not likely to be an every day item (after the first week, anyway).

:iagree: I know that Kitchen Aid is a great brand but the cost is a factor as this will be a gift from my mom(their grandma) and she keeps a limit on cost of gifts. AND yes, the fun factor is a big plus in this case.

I think if it's for your son, the cool factor of the flippy waffle iron is a must. There were two local stores that offered them as one of their Black Friday items and the flip waffles irons were the first houseware items to be sold out.

I would buy an inexpensive one because it's not likely to be an every day item (after the first week, anyway).