Menu

A Science Fair Workbook

http://Http://www.sciencebuddies.com is a great resource for project planning. I'm grading 50 projects right now! :) Our fair is next Saturday.

I found the background research plan worksheet and the bibliography worksheet the most helpful.

Otherwise I prefer the Science Fair Workbook.

I still don't have exactly what I want, for my nature study activities/experiments but I'm narrowing down on it.

I really want to focus on doing good research, and using what I learn, to plan the purpose of my activities. And sometimes I want it to be an activity, not an experiment with variables and control.

I liked that the workbook differentiated an engineering project from an experiment, and gave the method for each one. My nature studies are also going to need a slightly different method.

Edit:

And I just found this at the site on finding information Http://www.sciencebuddies.com/science-fair-projects/project_finding_information.shtml

Edited by Hunter

I think the workbook is geared towards a big middle school project, or smaller more everyday high school projects. I like it because it isn't so detailed and overwhelming.

I do better repeating and drilling a lower level concept, than only doing a higher level one, once.

If I had a highschooler preparing for a highly competitive fair, I'd have them do a few projects at home with this method first, but then move onto something else for their competitive project.

I think the workbook is geared towards a big middle school project, or smaller more everyday high school projects. I like it because it isn't so detailed and overwhelming.

I do better repeating and drilling a lower level concept, than only doing a higher level one, once.

If I had a highschooler preparing for a highly competitive fair, I'd have them do a few projects at home with this method first, but then move onto something else for their competitive project.

Thanks. She isn't motivated enough to do extra ones first, but I do have younger dc in middle school who are still homeschooling that could use this workbook. I'm not sure how competitive this high school science fair is, but you get extra credit for science just by entering (this is the one now in ps.)

If you buy this workbook for the younger children, it might be a good idea for your daughter to READ this one before she READS the higher level explanations. She can easily skim this workbook in 30 minutes, and I think she will UNDERSTAND the higher level materials better...to see the big picture...before she is bogged down with too many details for each step of the method.

I'm sure her school has very specific detections...even if those directions are hard to comprehend, if you know what I mean. Too often higher level resources assume past mastery with lower level materials, and focus on the details and not the main points. The main points are mentioned but not emphasized.

If you buy this workbook for the younger children, it might be a good idea for your daughter to READ this one before she READS the higher level explanations. She can easily skim this workbook in 30 minutes, and I think she will UNDERSTAND the higher level materials better...to see the big picture...before she is bogged down with too many details for each step of the method.

I'm sure her school has very specific detections...even if those directions are hard to comprehend, if you know what I mean. Too often higher level resources assume past mastery with lower level materials, and focus on the details and not the main points. The main points are mentioned but not emphasized.

Thanks!