Menu

Runners (or others)-has anyone had an IT band knee problem, and how did you manage it

I suspect that's what I'm dealing with-has all the symptoms-on the outside of the knee, hits me like a brick wall at a certain mileage every run, etc.

There are conflicting reports on what to do for this on the Internet. They say even many physical therapists treat it wrong. I wondered what you did to treat it, etc. I want to try to do whatever I need to do to "fix" it over this winter so I can be running by early spring! Thanks!

My DD16 recently had to visit her knee doctor again (she had a lateral release a year ago) and he diagnosed this. She's doing PT now and they have her strengthening her hip and lower back muscles. Also, she has some muscle loss in her quads, so they are building up those. She has more warm up exercises she has to do now too.

GVD-Thanks for the book suggestion!

Debbie-what were the two exercises, if you wouldn't mind sharing?

AmylovesBud-how did you know how to use the foam rollers?

To those who used PT-did you try to find someone who specialized in IT band? Did you have to have MRIs or anything? Or can I just go to a PT and say I'm pretty sure this is IT band, how do we fix it? (my insurance doesn't need referrals so I'd like to skip the middleman if possible to avoid the copay!)

A trainer at the gym showed me. It's not really difficult - you just lie on your side with the foam roller under your hip then roll your body up and down the roller from hip to knee, letting your body weight do the work. I would typically do it 3-4 times on a side each workout.

I damaged the outside of my knee during a marathon about 8-10 years ago. Sort of hobbled the last couple miles. Painful. Then, it bothered me for months afterwards. I couldn't run very far.

Ice helped a lot. But didn't cure it. Running on flat surfaces was better than running on roads with any slope or peak to them. And I just couldn't run too far.

This may seem strange, but fasting fixed my knee. If I just went for a day or two without food, only drinking water, then my body could sort of heal itself and the knee was better.

I would also recommend acupuncture if you don't want to try the fasting method.

I really like this site for stretching and strengthening exercises:

Foam roller (for lower body, including IT band): http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/11044650/foam-roller-exercises-lower-body-physioadvisor.htm

IT Band stretches: http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8278950/itb-stretches-iliotibial-band-stretch-physioad.htm

And I agree with doing strengthening exercises for hips and quads, too, to support the knee area.

GVD-Thanks for the book suggestion!

Debbie-what were the two exercises, if you wouldn't mind sharing?

To those who used PT-did you try to find someone who specialized in IT band? Did you have to have MRIs or anything? Or can I just go to a PT and say I'm pretty sure this is IT band, how do we fix it? (my insurance doesn't need referrals so I'd like to skip the middleman if possible to avoid the copay!)

You're welcome and no, I didn't go to someone who specialized in IT work but they worked wonders. I agree with the foam rollers they are good for really getting in there. I personally have never used it but I do Yamuna body rolling and it's the same concept