Menu

If you use Singapore to teach math, and use MEP to supplement,

JadeOrchidSong

do you teach according to MEP lesson plan?

I usually teach from Singapore primary math textbook without HIG, and then do the workbook. We add IP to follow up when one unit is done. I used to print the workpages from MEP for levels 1 and 2 for my two dc, but it is too much work and I stopped. But now since ds8 is starting Singapore 3B, I let him do MEP 1 page a day for "homework" right online. I give some help sometimes, but I don't teach from the lesson plan. I like it that I don't have to print any pages and I can pick some pages and don't do all the pages. Also the answer is right there after ds is done to check himself.

Bill and others who use Singapore and MEP, do you teach both or do it like me? Thanks!

We use Singapore (about to finish up 4A) and I let my son do a couple MEP Online Interactive worksheets after lunch a few days a week. I really only consult the teacher's manual (.pdf) if we get stumped and then we both check it out together, and thus figure out the problem together. :) I think doing it this way keeps MEP "fun" for him...I love that the interactive worksheets are self-checking--it's fun to see him working hard, check his work on screen & hear "Yes!" (totally in Napoleon Dynamite style!) :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

ETA: I meant to say that we work a semester behind on MEP--so while he's been working on SM 4A, we've been working through the MEP 3B OI Worksheets.

HTH! :D

Edited by rootsnwings

:auto:

do you teach according to MEP lesson plan?

I usually teach from Singapore primary math textbook without HIG, and then do the workbook. We add IP to follow up when one unit is done. I used to print the workpages from MEP for levels 1 and 2 for my two dc, but it is too much work and I stopped. But now since ds8 is starting Singapore 3B, I let him do MEP 1 page a day for "homework" right online. I give some help sometimes, but I don't teach from the lesson plan. I like it that I don't have to print any pages and I can pick some pages and don't do all the pages. Also the answer is right there after ds is done to check himself.

Bill and others who use Singapore and MEP, do you teach both or do it like me? Thanks!

There are no interactive pages for 2A yet. Maybe that is a good thing for 1&2, I dunno. But I am looking forward to having the option of interactive pages in the near future.

The Lesson Plans are something I've always gleaned from. I read them, and draw from them. But I just don't have the time (using multiple other sources) to do them all. I regret periods when we get away from a more pure Lab Mab approach under the pressure of time. But I need to cherry pick.

The iPad has been a boon for reading Lesson Plans without printing them. And I put the Student Books on there too (but still print them). Interactive Student Books on the iPad could be way cool!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

:auto:

There are no interactive pages for 2A yet. Maybe that is a good thing for 1&2, I dunno. But I am looking forward to having the option of interactive pages in the near future.

The Lesson Plans are something I've always gleaned from. I read them, and draw from them. But I just don't have the time (using multiple other sources) to do them all. I regret periods when we get away from a more pure Lab Mab approach under the pressure of time. But I need to cherry pick.

The iPad has been a boon for reading Lesson Plans without printing them. And I put the Student Books on their too (but still print them). Interactive Student Books on the iPad could be way cool!

Bill

I was hoping you would chime in, Bill. I know your ds is too young yet to use 3A. But it is really cool. I love the interactive feature of it and ds8 needs some help with some of it and I just teach him right there without looking at the lesson plan. He did cm, m and litre and cl a few days before we started Singapore 3B and right now they line up with each other. MEP 3A will have multiplication a lot and it is great review for Singapore 3A to keep ds practice his times and division facts. I am really happy with this.

J

We use Singapore (about to finish up 4A) and I let my son do a couple MEP Online Interactive worksheets after lunch a few days a week. I really only consult the teacher's manual (.pdf) if we get stumped and then we both check it out together, and thus figure out the problem together. :) I think doing it this way keeps MEP "fun" for him...I love that the interactive worksheets are self-checking--it's fun to see him working hard, check his work on screen & hear "Yes!" (totally in Napoleon Dynamite style!) :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

ETA: I meant to say that we work a semester behind on MEP--so while he's been working on SM 4A, we've been working through the MEP 3B OI Worksheets.

HTH! :D

Us, too. We do MEP 3A along with Singapore 3B. It is wonderful.