Menu

Kingfisher Science Encylopedia 2006 reviews please!

Aludlam

I bought this book about a year ago and have enjoyed it so far. I'm a long way off in using it directly with dc, but I remember how I loved looking at similar reference books when I was elem age.

DS6 has loved looking at it and asking me to read it to him. It has been a good exercise in boiling down what's written!

It has beautiful graphics that DS really responds to. I have not sat down and read much of it closely, so I can't say a lot about content, depth, etc. What I have seen, I do like the layout and the variety of topics.

Each chapter (Planet Earth, Living Things, Human Biology, etc) ends with a "Facts and Figures" page which includes key dates/events within that topic. There is also a Ready Reference section at the end of the book that includes conversion tables, units of measurement, famous scientists, and inventions/discoveries.

FYI - There is a Reproduction page within the Human Biology chapter that tells it like it is - in an appropriate way, I think, for the intended age. Also, as you probably expect, it presents geology and human origins from an evolutionary viewpoint.

I recently bought the Usborne First Encyclopedia of Science (haven't seen yet) since I want something a little more accessible once we start formal science next year. I also have 2 Kingfisher First Encyclopedias (Human Body and Animals), which I like as well.

HTH - Sorry if a little rambling. I did interrupt this to put dc to bed. :willy_nilly: