Menu

Can you help me with a preschooler obsessed with death?

My daughter (4) is obsessed with death. She has been sort of preoccupied with death for about 2 years, but lately it's been almost like an obsession (she cries about death several times a week). She talks about death constantly and I'm not sure of an appropriate response. I didn't want to give her the heaven spiel since that isn't my belief, but I'm wondering if that's what I should tell her if it will comfort her in some way :confused:. I've told her that people grow old and aren't able to use their bodies and can't live a fulfilling life anymore, but all that results in is her crying about how she doesn't want to die when she is 100. Also, I'm glossing over the fact that young people do die and I wonder is that the right decision.

She hasn't had anyone die around her, so I wonder why she has always been so focused on death. She primarily asks why people die and she also asks why people kill or are violent. My answers are obviously insufficient and everything ends in tears. I would be grateful if anyone can help me find the right words to say when she asks me about death again.

ETA: Her favorite movie was the Lion King a couple of years ago up until a few months ago (she was also overly preoccupied with that movie), so Mufasa may have been where this started and has progressed from there since she hasn't had whatever answer she is looking for.

Edited by YourFidgetyFriend

Preschoolers are just starting to figure out some of the scarier "what ifs" in life. It's a little bit harder to tell you what to say because I have beliefs that I don't think you probably share. I believe that God is in charge of the course of our life and that no one, even young people, will be taken before it is time for them to go. You might reassure her that you are there to take care of her, will get her every help if her life were in danger and that there are people, like police officers and fire fighters who are there to help her as well.