Menu

Can you cherry pick reading assignments in a Lightning Lit study guide?

Robin in Tx

If you are using one of the LL guides, and it includes a book that you don't want to study, can you just skip that book assignment and go on to the next? Or do the lessons build on each other? Can you pick out two or three novels/stories, or do you really need to do the entire course?

Thanks!

I hope so because that is what I have been doing. I did have my son start with the first lesson, but then we skipped to the poetry. He is reading Tom Sawyer now. I don't think he has had a problem skipping around. He has been doing most of the work independently. :001_smile:

I don't think it would matter to much. I don't have the curr in front of me, but if you wanted to skip a book, I think it would be ok.

I just did a search at the yahoo group and found a GREAT post that would answer your question at the yahoo group. It is message #413 (don't want to post a link in case it goes to the direct post and this is a group you have to join). Here is a link to join the group: Hewitt Homeschooling.

{{Tressa}}, Good morning my friend! I really enjoyed the poetry section/worksheets. I learned a few things while helping Jessica with her activity pages. (just another reason I live homeschooling, I am learning too) Jessica didn't really like Tom Sawyer. She said there were parts in there that scared her... :( Poor little girl...

Have a wonderful day everyone!

~Tina

most of the answers said you can skip around to your hearts content! Dd is starting LL7 now and while I don't plan to skip books, if she doesn't really get into one or another...we'll ditch it in favor of a more engaging book. Perhaps we'll get a PP guide to use in place of one or another in LL. Most of the books/stories are very good, though!

{{Tressa}}, Good morning my friend! I really enjoyed the poetry section/worksheets. I learned a few things while helping Jessica with her activity pages. (just another reason I live homeschooling, I am learning too) Jessica didn't really like Tom Sawyer. She said there were parts in there that scared her... :( Poor little girl...

Have a wonderful day everyone!

~Tina

Hello there! You know, I didn't really care for Tom Sawyer either. Matthew liked it, so maybe it is a boy/girl thing. Hope you are having a great school day!:001_smile:

Thanks so much for all the responses... I joined the group and looked at the linked conversation. We like all the books in 7 and 8, but the problem is we've already studied a couple of them and I'd rather not go through them again. I was hoping we could skip those, perhaps substituting something else like one of the new Teaching the Classics study guides. Sounds like we can, which is just what I wanted to know! Thank you all so much for the help!!

Robin