Menu

A bit disappointed in my Ds's ACT score..

He got a 22. I think he could have done better. He is signed up for another ACT in Dec. Do you have any tips on the best way for him to prepare for it? For instance, he finished only 3/4th of the reading test. How can he speed up his reading? He did okay on the math part. His English and Science were about the same score. Thanks.

My ds started out about there, and ended up taking it four times. First a 22, then a 25, then a 30, and finally a 33! I was completely impressed. We ordered this: http://eknowledge.com/. As a military family we got an excellent deal (free), but I paid for an upgrade. IMHO, taking the test repeatedly was the best "prep" he could have gotten. He agreed that taking it several times was more effective than the study guides we used.

My ds started out about there, and ended up taking it four times. First a 22, then a 25, then a 30, and finally a 33! I was completely impressed. We ordered this: http://eknowledge.com/. As a military family we got an excellent deal (free), but I paid for an upgrade. IMHO, taking the test repeatedly was the best "prep" he could have gotten. He agreed that taking it several times was more effective than the study guides we used.

Thank you for posting this. My ds, who was sick the day he took the ACT, was very disappointed in his scores. Your son's experience gives him hope and encouragement.

He got a 22. I think he could have done better. He is signed up for another ACT in Dec. Do you have any tips on the best way for him to prepare for it? For instance, he finished only 3/4th of the reading test. How can he speed up his reading? He did okay on the math part. His English and Science were about the same score. Thanks.

To get the timing down, the best way is to do the practice tests. The first time my son took the test he went in cold and never finished science plus rushed through reading to be done in time. Neither of those scores ended up being good (for him). I wished I could go back in time and let him prepare as his math and English scores were excellent.

He used Barron's book and the Real ACT book to study and get some practice sections in at home. He did all the "study" first to bone up on his knowledge and the types of questions they ask. After all the study was done, he would do a timed section a day (not whole test, but section) - doing all the questions, but noting when the timer went off each time. By the end he had it all done within the time allowed regularly.

On this last test his math slipped one point, but English went up one point. Reading went up 9 points and science went up 5. His composite went up 3 points and now suits his ability reasonably well.

A little preparation to understand the test itself and to be able to gauge ones timing is essential for most students IMO.

For math and English, check to see how well a student does without a timer. If they get most of the questions right, then they merely need to work on time as with reading and science. If they don't, then they need to figure out their weaknesses in math and English and bone up on those first.

Reading and science appear to be different in that the answers to those are found in the passages and/or graphs/visuals. IMO they are testing reading and comprehension on both of those (and not really testing science). Math and English test knowledge of the subject in a short period of time. Students can do poorly in these because of lack of knowledge or lack of quick timing, so preparation needs to be done accordingly.