Menu

38 Constellations

Last night a friend brought over a van full of people who were interested in learning about the night sky. We went from constellation to constellation, counting how many we could see. I'm certain that there were a few more hidden in the misty horizon, but even so, I found 38 constellations!

How fun is that!

The skies were clear--we could easily see the smudge of the Andromeda Galaxy and the double cluster with the naked eye. Jupiter had only 2 moons visible. A great night!

Just thought I'd share :001_smile:

Oh! I am going to show your post to my ds in just a moment. He will be thrilled to hear about your night! And maybe a bit jealous. :)

Just this afternoon, he typed out a list of all the constellations that he hopes to see over a year's time period. He organized his "checklist" by season and then within each season, by north to south order. So far, he has checked 30 off his list (he started observing in August and had been keeping up with the info with pencil/paper).

He has dragged me outside many a night to show me something "new" (MOM...you are going to MISS OUT!!!). My ds would probably love to have a mom who would stay out in the cold long enough to find 38 constellations with him! HeeHee...

Thanks for sharing!

Jetta

The skies were clear--we could easily see the smudge of the Andromeda Galaxy and the double cluster with the naked eye.

OHHH! Okay, now I feel stupid. :tongue_smilie: We went out stargazing a few nights ago and I thought we were looking at the Milky Way. But we did notice about.....errr....ummm.....3 constellations. Rats.

But on the bright side, we did notice the double cluster! ;)

Oh! I am going to show your post to my ds in just a moment. He will be thrilled to hear about your night! And maybe a bit jealous. :)

Just this afternoon, he typed out a list of all the constellations that he hopes to see over a year's time period. He organized his "checklist" by season and then within each season, by north to south order. So far, he has checked 30 off his list (he started observing in August and had been keeping up with the info with pencil/paper).

He has dragged me outside many a night to show me something "new" (MOM...you are going to MISS OUT!!!). My ds would probably love to have a mom who would stay out in the cold long enough to find 38 constellations with him! HeeHee...

Thanks for sharing!

Jetta

We need to do an exchange--my kids would have to be hog tied to come out under the night sky with me! :lol:

OHHH! Okay, now I feel stupid. :tongue_smilie: We went out stargazing a few nights ago and I thought we were looking at the Milky Way. But we did notice about.....errr....ummm.....3 constellations. Rats.

But on the bright side, we did notice the double cluster! ;)

It was probably 13 years ago that I decided I should know something about the night sky since my 3rd grader was going to do an astronomy unit. I went out with my planisphere and tried to find something more than the Big Dipper.

I had someone come out from a local astronomy club and show us what we could see with their telescope...and I was hooked. Each year I've learned a few more constellations, filling in the gaps in the night sky a little at a time. This year I've added Lacerta, Equuleus, and Camelopardalis to the constellations that I can find without a star map. And each year I try to read a book or two on the night sky. I'd like to learn to use my manual telescope more--I've enjoyed my computerized scope, but now I fee it is time to locate the deep sky objects on my own...a step at a time.

I never thought 13 years ago that I'd be the president of an astronomy club!!!! :lol:

38 constellations - Awesome!!!! :)

Nothing like a clear northern sky with minimal light pollution. :)

We have rotten weather most of the time--humid skies in the summer if it isn't cloudy, snow/cold in winter, and rainy springs. This fall, however, has been gloriously clear. I've never seen the sky so crisp and clear. Now if only I could get this right eye to heal up so that I could see things better!!!! :)

That's great. Sounds like a wonderful way to spend an evening. It's neat that you know so many! I found a constellation book at a yard sale last month or so. I wasn't able to use it because we were having so much rain. Sounds like it's time to get it out again. We've been having a lot of nice weather here as well.

We have rotten weather most of the time--humid skies in the summer if it isn't cloudy, snow/cold in winter, and rainy springs. This fall, however, has been gloriously clear. I've never seen the sky so crisp and clear. Now if only I could get this right eye to heal up so that I could see things better!!!! :)

Enjoy the clear skies! Every time someone posted about something cool going on out there I've tried to check it out, only to find nothing but clouds. I'm out there alone checking too as my dd wants nothing to do with going out in the middle of the night. :lol: Sometimes dh will join me.

I hope your eye heals quickly. :)

It was probably 13 years ago that I decided I should know something about the night sky since my 3rd grader was going to do an astronomy unit. I went out with my planisphere and tried to find something more than the Big Dipper.

I had someone come out from a local astronomy club and show us what we could see with their telescope...and I was hooked. Each year I've learned a few more constellations, filling in the gaps in the night sky a little at a time. This year I've added Lacerta, Equuleus, and Camelopardalis to the constellations that I can find without a star map. And each year I try to read a book or two on the night sky. I'd like to learn to use my manual telescope more--I've enjoyed my computerized scope, but now I fee it is time to locate the deep sky objects on my own...a step at a time.

I never thought 13 years ago that I'd be the president of an astronomy club!!!! :lol:

I love that you can just walk outside & see those kinds of stars. We live in the city, with all its light pollution, and can just see the very obvious stars, planets, and constellations. Sometimes we make a concentrated effort to get out in the country & look up, but not often enough.

I also love the fact that you are the astronomy club president!! :001_smile: